I can't get my cranks loose!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot for the life of me break these loose. I'd like to save them, but if I can't that is fine too. Any help is appreciated! I should mention I am in between houses so I don't have all my tools! I'm getting some pb blaster in the morning to see if that helps. Is there something I'm missing or should these slide off without any kind of puller?

qoXg5hB.jpg

There are two types of those style cranks, ones with a pinch bolt and ones without, the ones with a pinch bolt you can most of the time get off without a puller, but those ones will require a crank tool...

Just in my limited experience... ;)

Luke.

A dirty fix would be to use the bottombracket screws as pullers. Unscrew them will force the arm off. If the crank arm is close enough.

A dirty fix would be to use the bottombracket screws as pullers. Unscrew them will force the arm off. If the crank arm is close enough.
That's not the dirty way...
The dirty way is to loosen the arm securing nuts/bolts and ride the bike.
The arms almost always come off and if you don't loosen those nuts/bolts too much so the arms can't slide too far when riding you won't ruin anything.

Do I recommend this? Not normally but it works in a pinch.

That's not the dirty way...
The dirty way is to loosen the arm securing nuts/bolts and ride the bike.
The arms almost always come off and if you don't loosen those nuts/bolts too much so the arms can't slide too far when riding you won't ruin anything.

Do I recommend this? Not normally but it works in a pinch.
Well I guess we all have our standards ;)

Well I guess we all have our standards ;)
Lol the first time I did my dirty arm removal went very bad because I loosened the nuts too much & 1 came off and when the arm popped loose I got hurt because it flew off. Ruined the arm and bb axel

yeah they do it all the time , some shops charge too much for anything they do !

Be fair- that rusted mess could easily require more than a quick pull!!

I have placed a rag over the hole on pedal side and tapped it with a hammer on both sides. I worked for me. May want to give it a cheap try. If it is real stuck tap it top and bottom and side to side.

Latest posts

Back