(MBBO Class 2) "Mad Maxine" NOW SOLD TO A NEW RRB MEMBER!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ever consider building and selling any wheels like this ? If worried about liability I would be willing to sign a waver LOL I'm sure a lot of us on here would love a set of wheels like this. I'm sure you could make the process a little simpler after building a few sets .

Well done ! i like how you welded the spoke to look like diamond shape instead of flat looking like square :113:
Thanks 1HP! I am glad I did that too, it started off as a way to simplify the jig construction, but turned into a real cool style point!

These may be your best wheels yet!! How much do they weigh? :p
They are very cool, they will probably be equal best with the ones from BigJim, somehow don't think they will ever be topped!
As for weight, lighter than any so far, but still too heavy for a road bike, still more form over function! I will get a weight for you soon.

Wow those wheels are killer! Nice work.
Thanks Chad!

I'm in love, very very beautiful wheels... congrats!!!
:thumbsup:

You ever consider building and selling any wheels like this ? If worried about liability I would be willing to sign a waver LOL I'm sure a lot of us on here would love a set of wheels like this. I'm sure you could make the process a little simpler after building a few sets .
I was asked a while back by Pushie Pirate to build him a pair of my earlier 8 spoke/narrowed car wheel/Harley Davidson tire wheels, but it ended up stressing me out a bit much and I had to call it off. These new design wheels are simpler and easier and probably cheaper too, but I am still not overly keen to look into selling them, the place I got the rims is closing down, in fact tomorrow may be the last day they are open (must remember to drop in!) so the supply is about to dry up, at least at the cheap prices I paid, and I will always worry excessively about what the buyer expects, with things like this sometimes you don't find a problem until you take it in to get the tire fitted, and realise you made a mistake along the way, I can deal with that, but if the wheels have been made and sent to the buyer by the time it happens it would be a different story...

Of course the biggest problem, is that I live in Australia, freight to you guys over there would be prohibitive! :eek:

The other issue with any of the wheels I make, is the hub spacing, they will not fit in a normal unmodified frame, so whoever buys the wheels must be able to cut and weld anyway, so I post my whole method of building so anyone who has that capability can make their own if they wish.

I have another wheel idea that I am planning a build around, it may be a possibility for selling to other builders, with much cheaper freight too... ;)

Thanks for the comments everyone! Sorry progress has been slow, and will be slow for a little while yet, I have some stuff coming up that will hold the build up for a few weeks, but after that it should be full steam ahead!

Luke.

If you ever decide to do smaller guage spoked 20" or 24" double rim spoke wheels on standard hubs I will be in on the first set as I am closer to you than our bros shipping should be less
Yeah this is what I'm talking about making the five spoke wheels with standard bicycle wheels and standard hub widths. Like you said though freight might be crazy

If you ever decide to do smaller guage spoked 20" or 24" double rim spoke wheels on standard hubs I will be in on the first set as I am closer to you than our bros shipping should be less
Yeah this is what I'm talking about making the five spoke wheels with standard bicycle wheels and standard hub widths. Like you said though freight might be crazy
All I can say is stay tuned in with my builds and experiments, I might be able to make something happen. My next build will have some interesting wheels on it that I may be able to make available as an "assemble yourself" kit, have to see how that goes before I make any promises though.

Did some shopping today, for this build and future ones, as I said before the local Motor Cycle Wreckers is closing down, so I made sure I got there today, first stop though was one of the local dump-shops which is open on Tuesdays and Thursdays along with the weekend, have not had much luck there recently, but thought it worth the try, ended up picking up a Haro BMX minus the rear wheel and a cool skateboard that could be used for the banana seat on this build, all for $5:

15400783345_8e2a4d72e4_z.jpg

Very cool and has some history there, problem is that is will not suit the "All Black" paint scheme as it is, be a shame to paint over the base of the board though, might have to think some more on that...

From there on to the M/C Wreckers to find that he has found a buyer for the business and it will not be closing down! :banana:
So my supplier for the crazy parts I use is still available! Anyway, picked up another pair of rims for another project down the track and asked if he had any little pistons I could use for shift knobs or headlights and he gave me these:

15397600271_8276a5a52a_z.jpg

Tiny little pistons, just perfect sized for that!

Good day, no real progress, but good all the same...

Luke.

PROGRESS!

Started with one of the rear hubs, knocked the threaded end off one side:

15202534039_0caef070f5_z.jpg

To be replaced with this non threaded one from another hub:

15202533779_be2c108253_z.jpg

Welded the spokes for the smaller wheel to the centre tube then slid it over the hub and re-installed the end cap, then placed in the rear of the frame to give it a spin to check for true:

15202602940_455577865b_z.jpg

Give it a spin:

15386107261_78b9524be7_z.jpg

Came out well so slid the centre spider into the rim and tacked it, spun it up again, made some adjustments, spun it again and then welded it up:

15386106501_3c2cb0e5c7_z.jpg

Added some weld between the rim and cover strip to correspond to the spoke location to add strength too, pretty happy with the way the welds went, considering the gaps and chrome I had to work around:

15202532849_a610f5e6e4_z.jpg

Then on to the much harder rear wheel, started with widening the hub, I am sure you have all seen me do this before, so will skip that explanation:

15202771737_acca6f912e_z.jpg

Welded the spokes to the centre tube and tacked it into the rim, it will remain only tacked at this point until I have a way to spin it to check for true:

15388962522_f1a96d2989_z.jpg

Finished for the day:

15202693508_4f38ea277a_z.jpg

Sounds like a short day, but there was a fair amount of work involved!

Luke.:thumbsup:

Bad to the bone , plain and simple !

Those bikes look like Garelli mopeds....
Keep it comin Luke,or the heats going to get ya...

Latest posts

Back