What year and make is this bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
To me it looks like a hawthorne but i am not sure of what year it is. Definately pre war.
9aaadd0c5ea1b0acc11952daf746f63e.jpg

It looks very similar to this 46/47 CWC made bike, either a Western Flyer or Roadmaster, looks like Western Flyer headbadge.Your downtube has less curve, so it may be an earlier bike.

16jemie.jpg

......... that bike is beautiful!!!!

Got bike home and it is badged as a hawthorne. Serial number on bottom bracket starts with a F. Did some reading. And supposedly this is a cwc built hawthorne. From 1940 to 1942

483528a1e12c46c2cf4e1bcd9b61d056.jpg
47da2018164dc01dbdff13a0df5c40ac.jpg

Only thing bugging me is no lucky 7 seat post but has chain adjusters and tha head basge mounts are vertical not side ways.

The lack of curve in the downtube is what's bugging me. I feel I've seen this before on a 46-47 Hawthorne. But it almost looks like the kind of thing that might result from a bent downtube due to a head-on collision being repaired with over-compensation

When I asked about the year of my 46 CWC, I remember it being said the straighter down tube frames were the earlier models, so mine was later. So an early 40's for that bike sounds about right.

To me it looks like a hawthorne but i am not sure of what year it is. Definately pre war.
9aaadd0c5ea1b0acc11952daf746f63e.jpg

It's not pre-war and it gets technically tough nailing the exact date on them frames..

1st note is it's near the 1st generation past 1941 "pre-war"

The second cross bar is brazed, and for the rear dropout down tub bending I'll also say the top bar is not brazed whereas pre-war is brazed and that lower down dropout tube is straight on pre-war. . the next newer line after yours only has 1 or two places with brazing anywhere on the whole frame post 46/7. and the rest is spot welded.

Do I see your fender mounted on the drop out?

the drop outs indicate transitional changes, pre-war will be brazed on and the bottom of dropout has an ear, bent outward hanging on it, prob designed to stop the drop stand, the only holes are near that lower ear for mounting drop stand. . Believe there's a noted 1st war era brazed, but the ear is gone, they've begun using kick stands, then they'll have top side electro tack welded with bottom side brazed, no ear, next both tack welded and no brazing on the dropout but may have brazing on another area of bike, and finally by 1950's the whole frame is spot welded.

Along with this transition, 1st war era, does not an oval hole for chain guard screw mount, 2nd war era/post war get it, next gets another hole for accessory, fender/rack mounting and later that accessory hole is carved unto a U shape. Presumably to make accessory easier to remove.

Shoot a good clear photo of the dropout on he chain side, also show what holes were drilled in it (remove any fender/rack braces if in the way) , I would not expect to see a hole for accessory; fender/rack, in yours, show exact spot would be important if it's there, where your fender is mounted on to guess whether one was drilled later, or it's original. . and where/how the whole drop-out is attached to the frame and ya might be able to pin it down within a 4 year margin.

Also expose the serial numbers from left to right to see if there's a C with a small w inside that C, spaced 1/4" - 3/4" past the serial number set or near edge of crank housing. . Is there only a C with w, or a letter before the C. "Cw, (Illustrating there's a small W inside the C)., or DCw, (there's a letter before the Cw) " by 50/51 the Cw will be preceded with 2 numbers dating it, Cw 51, 52, -55/6. I spect yours, for that lower brazed bar, there won't be an extra letter before it.

And you'll begin estimating its date, most especially because it's retail style painted, (post war, CWC advertised no builds or sales of retail bikes during the war) I'd guess, late 44/46 frame and painted/build date - 45/46. Who'd sell bike first, Wards, Western auto etc, or CWC? odds are CWC badged their 1st post war painting so Branding other names % leans on 46 +.

Drop out keys war era/post time frames, and periods where CWC's stamp changes : 42-46/8, A-ZCw: 47-49, 50 , and 50's Cw

sorry fer 10,000 edits, while improving the 'how-to' notes.

Last edited:
It wont let me post more pics but there. Is a serial number on the crankcase

F75955 is the serial number on bottom bracket.

Kool! But not old enough for me. I was hoping it was a 30s bike. But it does have new departure. Blackout hubs so 45 to 46 seems legit

When I asked about the year of my 46 CWC, I remember it being said the straighter down tube frames were the earlier models, so mine was later. So an early 40's for that bike sounds about right.
Whoops a correction. By earlier, I should have said 45/46. My serial number was J96003.

Latest posts

Back