Need Help With I.D.~~Solved '59 Columbia Newsboy Special~~

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The frame looks like a newsboy special, made by Columbia. The serial number will give the year of manufacture.

Thanks~~You're right Wildcat~~Seems these were made from '50 until '77~~With a frame change for '63 & '64~~Then back to this style in '65 and one last frame change for '76 & '77~~In '78 the Newsboy name was dropped and the bike continued until '82 as the Big Mac with yet another frame change for '81 & '82 that looked somewhat like the original in '50~~Serial number places this one as a '59~~~~~

I had a 55 Newsboy frame, but could never get a chance to build it, so I sold it. It was used on this year's build off, The Pepperbox Special. It looks great.

http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-pepperbox-special-done.83411/#post-810512
Yep~~Must agree with you~~I like it~~Going to do mine in orange and white to match my '72 Chevrolet C-20. Since it's a News Boy, I'm going to put a heavy duty rear rack with a wood crate to give it that truck/delivery look and make it an addition to the '72~~This way it keeps its lineage for it's original purpose~~~~~

Last edited:
That's the spirit! Sounds like me, shoot first , ask questions later. :41::41::thumbsup:
Thanks~~This is the second one I've done this way~~The first was a late 50's early 60's Evans 400 Viscount~~When I posted it up for I.D. help it took a little longer, but the members here came through~~~~~:);)

Latest posts

Back