1937 Rollfast Motobike (unnamed project)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I finally got most of the parts i need to start this build! I bought it off a friend for 25 bucks. I figured it was well worth it to bring a piece of history back to life.
432392cbf05d5f0dea6b7eb461884f1a.jpg

This is as I found it.

While I was researching this bike I saw an awesome chain guard that rollfast used on ladies bike during the same time period this was built. I was browsing the for sale category here and found one KZ1000 was selling so I scooped it up. Upon further research I found this to be an earlier chain guard built 1919 maybe 1920? Either way it seems to fit great except for the chain ring being too large for it. I have been contemplating using a 44 tooth repop sweetheart sprocket for it. We will see what I come up with. :)

3f19c97136ebdb7d4ec8bbc534f8ed0a.jpg

A good friend of mine had a rusty skiptooth Murray ladies bike with a springer on it, which he gave me. It looked a lot worse when I found it. It got piled in a snow hill by a plow truck over the winter and was bent pretty bad. Some fancy vise work and a tad bit of sand blasting and I got it straight. I've been thinking of doing something special with this using car parts so stay tuned!

fc0caa6bdaed00073bd69ddd42263bd7.jpg

I decided to use the tire that came with the bike. It's a white wall Carlisle lightning dart. I just have to find a second one now....

5bbff6e8b28bc6a334b34fa23ed7b088.jpg

It cleaned up great! I decided to use the single speed wheelset off my girlfriend's "The Pink Tsunami". (she got a three speed wheelset for her birthday) :cool:

54ec90cf1b92c4f72563016b2dc37d70.jpg
971ba22474bb592e9f82907c3c9bf13e.jpg
c2a020cd52ee046765879880ab7417ff.jpg

I stayed late at work tonight and managed to test fit it together. I still need a rack, a seat, and some cross bars as well as to build a custom tank. I will also be putting a headlight on her. The front wheel and tire were just used to mock it up. I'm pretty sure I want to go with a green for the color. Might go all crazy with a metallic lime green. I think I'm liking this one!

6af5c2637f0781d21020c086dbe93887.jpg

There will be tons more to come so stay tuned! Thanks for looking!

~Ron~

Had some time last night so I pulled the headbadge. Looks like she was black with white accents. I couldn't tell how many coats of house and auto paint where on it, but there were a few...
44759f8f42d22820008411da1e8afd4e.jpg

If this bike could tell a story I wonder where it's been and what it's been through....

~Ron~

Not much to report on this on this. I've been busy with work and studying for mechanics certs not to mention I have some other things I need to throw money at right now, but I picked up a wald head set and cups, a sealed crank bearing cup set with bearings, and a new wald head stem. I've also been working on mocking up a tank for it. I should hopefully be able to afford a few more parts next month. I will keep you guys posted.

As for a parts list...

1. I still need a period correct rack. (not to picky on condition just so long as its strait, not rusted through, and reasonably priced)

2. A rider quality WW Carlisle Indian head Lightning Dart tire.

3. A cheap tank that will fit the flow of this frame. (I would feel more comfortable modifying one rather than building it... Also the price for an actual tank for a v700 rollfast is 500 plus... If you can find one.)

If anyone has these parts please let me know. =)

~Ron~

Last edited:
Just an update here... I got the rack I was looking for finally and it's "rough and ready", a tad bent and in need of major rust removal, but the price was right.
29ea72d3b2c2131cb2d9ecc277b13622.jpg

You can see why I chose this one in particular... It complements the chain guard really well!
758ad6972a563744202868c9b5fac9e5.jpg

I have a crazy color scheme in mind for this and I can't wait to get to that point! I'm gonna be pawning off some unneeded parts soon to help fund this project so I can get it moving.

Stay tuned... [emoji41]

~Ron~

Meanwhile....
21596996b31c55edec26d15fd2c2c550.jpg

Just got my seat and I got the post all mocked up. I'm about to order a bunch of other parts... Stay tuned... [emoji57]

~Ron~

please don't put a Schwinn looking sprocket on a Rollfast! Oh well, it is your bike.. keep up the good work!
Trust me I wanted to use the D. P. Harris sprocket, but it was too large for the chain guard. It was the sprocket or the guard and I like the looks of the guard more. Plus, I really want to use a standard cruiser chain on it so if I have a problem I can easily get parts. (inexpensively as well)(it's only a 25 dollar bike afterall) [emoji57] I did however learn that ichi bikes sells a conversion sprocket for modern hubs that allows one to use a skip tooth chain. So maybe one day when I find a nice era correct ladies rollfast sprocket and skiptooth chain at a decent price it may get converted. Until then it will be sadly defiled by a knock off Schwinn part... (I'm not proud of that fact at all... No disrespect to Schwinn, tho. I love mine.) [emoji1]

~Ron~

Looking forward to seeing this done. Interesting parts. Thanks for buying Thompson grips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back