UK Rat rod bikes??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bonez said:
***!
That is an awesome collection mate. And how do you call the brakes with the connected rods? love those.
Been thinkin of adapting them to my next project....
What happened to your 1st bike? I would think its worth a coupla hundreds at least.

They're called rod brakes (I just call them Rod Brake bikes anyway) The most I've spent for a bike is £10, some for less and some for free!

The first bike is just sitting in my workshop as it's a lady's frame and I don't tend to ride those styles.. Got this the other day though which has the same 28" wheels and similar age to the first bike, only it's a gent's frame so I'll be riding this one soon.

tumblr_m5e332xcfG1ryo843o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5e3cta8cL1ryo843o3_1280.jpg

And here it is after cleaning it with an oily rag (no new paint at all!)

tumblr_m5e3cta8cL1ryo843o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_m5e3cta8cL1ryo843o5_1280.jpg

Still trying to work out what it is, but I know it's an early one! And for £5 (about $8?) it's another complete bargain. :D

Who cares about old American bikes, you have a treasure trove in cool bikes that are local to you, I think that is worth more respect. You about 18 now?

It's amazing how quickly one can acquire so many bikes for so little if you are willing to get into this hobby, whereas if you try to get into old cars, over a years time you might have 1 and it might run and you'll be broke.

^^^ Agreed. Everybody in Europe is good at collecting or building american bikes and cars, but building domestics is way more intresing imo. Nothing against american iron, i love it and i want an american car as my next project, but i suppose you get my point.
Oh and btw, we call'em rod brakes, and rod brakes bike as well :) and the old ones are niiice.

Wicked cool bike extras, the Oil Port.. the lock toggle switch, the brakes straight-bars.. REALLY NEAT! Id love to add some of these features to my own oncoming builds. I love the variations between English and American made.
I even like the original frame setup., All in all a cool bike to just have, maybe touch up here and there. Those tires are neat with the font down as the center tread. Anyway, my 2cents awful late~

Fellow Brit! Howdy! Where on earth so you find these cool rod-braked beauties? All I get handed is cack...

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

Fellow Brit! Howdy! Where on earth so you find these cool rod-braked beauties? All I get handed is cack...

From Tapatalk on this stoopid iPhone...

Look about, search through yards [with permission] ask folks..see a rider at a store, ask him about it. see a rusted old bike leaning on a fence for years rotting into the ground?save it. purchasing is just one of many methods to achieve a bike you'll love because its for you.
how you feel about it, and what you put into it to make it yours is the magic,.
Dont shy away from your greatest tool. the interweb. search cities in your area about bikes... search for people there into the same thing, hang fliers in windows.. get heard. you'll come across something good//6.6

just remember your manners, and try to offer what you would want someone to offer you. a reasonable price. if its a find, good on you!

I would keep the step-thru frame. It's an awesome bike, no need to mess with such a nice patina.

Latest posts

Back