79 Mongoose

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this off local CL last night. Not quite what I had as a kid, but very close. Im very happy with this, especially since it cost a high two digit figure. Even though mine as a kid had spoked wheels with the bumps, I'd say these aren't original wheels. The Motomag sticker likely confirms that. Im also thinking seat is replaced. The rest appears original.

Probably Femco wheels which were an option.

Seat is definitely wrong, but everything else looks right.

Clean it up and find the correct seat and you're good to go!

Great pic LTR!!! Thanks RR, those are Femco wheels on this one. Looks like hoops may be the same as mine as a kid. Hubs are different. I already got a rear axle mount Wald kickstand like mine had. But now I'm torn........ Do I teardown and paint black????

Great pic LTR!!! Thanks RR, those are Femco wheels on this one. Looks like hoops may be the same as mine as a kid. Hubs are different. I already got a rear axle mount Wald kickstand like mine had. But now I'm torn........ Do I teardown and paint black????

Bike is rad, as-is. Clean it, change the seat, consider buying new tires if you're gonna ride it... i'd say DON'T paint it.

This sticker has me leaning toward leaving it alone. Its cool enough that it says SoCal, but a quick search shows that this shop was pretty good! Anyone have more insight on WES'?

Love that pic LTR looks like a hot summer day cruzin the fresh motomags with the trailer park girls watching thinking you were the man. Brings back some good times for me too.:cool2:

Im interested. I don't see how to PM here anymore though. ?
Click on the members name beside the post and in the box that comes up select "start conversation".

Luke.

Nice!! I've had a '79 Mongoose for a long time and finally got Motomags this year. It's just GOTTA have 'em!
Although, back in the day when these weren't collectible cruisers they were still just our bikes, the Motomags were NOT the hot setup, way too heavy!!
Most of us had a set of race wheels, usually color-anodized aluminum spoke rims and 1.75s. If we had mags we took 'em off when we had something to prove!
I ran Tuffs back in the day, lighter than Motos and they lived up to the name, I've NEVER seen a broken or damaged Tuff Wheel. I still have my Tuffs from the late '70s. My friend and I once ran over my old Team Murray (I hated that bike) wearing the Tuffs I still own in his '68 Chevy pickup, bike wrecked, wheels zero damage! But the Motomag was and is the coolest BMX wheel.
Biggest reason I didn't have 'em them was I couldn't afford them. You don't wanna know what I paid this year on eBay!

Last edited:
Nice survivor. I also would do nothing to that finish. It's a beauty.

The Comp III treads are also a couple years too new for a 1979.

Do you still have the wheels and blue grips? Hang on to those babies so you can bring it back closer to original if you want.

Really nice bike. Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back