NEXUS 3 SPEED TWIST SHIFT TO SUICIDE SHIFTER HELP PLEASE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a nexus 3 speed grip twist shifter i want to convert to the H.B.B.C. suicide shifter kit. What must i do to the grip to get the shift adapter on it. And..how can i shorten the cable?. Im not a gear guy..so i want to learn from the best..YOU GUYS.

You need to remove the rubber grippy part from your shifter. It should pop right off. Assuming you have the post part mounted where you want it, slide the shifter into place, tighten the set screw on the shifter, then slide the HBBC shift "arm" over the twist shifter. The set screw on the arm part should fall between the raised plastic tabs on the twist shifter... Tighten the set screw (not TOO) tight and you're in business.
You can shorten the cable to whatever length you like... Cut the outer sheath first but make sure you use a SHARP cutting tool so you don't crush the metal liner inside. Thread the inner cable into position and adjust the cable at the hub. Then cut the excess inner.
I bet that if you are unsure about cutting your cables, your LBS would do it for you with the proper tools for cheap (if not free...) hope that helps.
If you'd like I can take a couple pics in the am!

JR

You need to remove the rubber grippy part from your shifter. It should pop right off. Assuming you have the post part mounted where you want it, slide the shifter into place, tighten the set screw on the shifter, then slide the HBBC shift "arm" over the twist shifter. The set screw on the arm part should fall between the raised plastic tabs on the twist shifter... Tighten the set screw (not TOO) tight and you're in business.
You can shorten the cable to whatever length you like... Cut the outer sheath first but make sure you use a SHARP cutting tool so you don't crush the metal liner inside. Thread the inner cable into position and adjust the cable at the hub. Then cut the excess inner.
I bet that if you are unsure about cutting your cables, your LBS would do it for you with the proper tools for cheap (if not free...) hope that helps.
If you'd like I can take a couple pics in the am!

JR

Thanks for the info. That should help a ton. I was thinking of maybe leaving the shifter up on the handle bars and seeing how that looks first before i cut the cables

This is the Nexus 3 speed I mounted with an HBBC suicide shifter on my Sun HT-3 handcycle.

144a56881105b5e7c38d83c229d0405c.jpg

b41f1565f34ff01a97dfcbfa565768be.jpg

40cb9525e7125202ded4da648572e34f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back