Custom Frame... for FREE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

I had been looking for a cool little bike that needed some work that I could play around with this winter. I found one that was in pretty good shape but needed a little love. Once I reached out to the guy, he had already sold it but told me he might have a frame for sale that I could look at. I asked for a picture and what all it needed. After talking to him for a little bit and after his first price he said" you know what? if you want it, come get it. 0 dollars." AMAZING! so I have a cool frame to work with now and this is going to be my first attempt at building a bike from scratch so here goes nothing! This is the picture he sent me of the frame a few extra parts he has for me.

IMG_0196_zpsa276d8a4.jpg

SCORE!!

Im jealous right now

thanks everyone! my ideas so far are kind of all over the place and I have just been hand drawing the frame itself, looking at pics of other bikes and drawing in what I like! I think that I want to use bigger wheels like cruiser style 26" or the wider ones, jsut need to find some, and I'm on a tight budget so this may be a longer process too.

I also LOVE the look of a springer or girder front end... just price-wise, those can hurt a little. I may actually have a good lead on an old dirt bike that was being parted out and may snag the front forks off of that and potentially use those wheels too!

I am thinking about adding an extra tube to the top that has a rounder shape, but not decided on that part yet. Also thinking about getting sheet metal to fill in some of the spaces between the tubes as they currently are.

Handlebar-wise- I LOVE ape hangers... but I am thinking about maybe going more streamlined on this. I have an old set of cruiser handlebars and also a set of cafe racer handlebars off a motorcycle, which I thought could look cool.

All this being said- I have almost ZERO knowledge of how to do a lot of this... never welded or bent bars or anything, but the guy who gave me the frame said I can bring the frame to his place and he will help me with everything and teach me how to do it all! I am seriously blown away by this guy, pretty awesome! Anyway, I will attach some pics of the drawings I've been thinking about and will definitely keep you guys updated once I get moving on things!
IMG_0225_zpsa4842640.jpg

IMG_0224_zps2cc7187b.jpg

hey guys,
I have a question- I was wanting to put 26" wheels on this frame and a guy I spoke to said I would need to change the rear part of the frame but didn't elaborate on that at all. How much work do you think it would be to get a set of 26" wheels to fit on this? I unfortunately don't currently have dimensions for the frame so I know the responses will be very estimated but wanted to see who had done similar things before and how much work went into making them fit. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back