Loose headset on '80s BMX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 1987 GT Performer at my local Goodwill. Great condition and only $50. Replaced tubes, overhauled BB and headset. Headset was loose when I got it. I was unable to adjust the headset properly even after disassembly and replacing the bearings. The locknut won't budge on the threads of the fork past a certain point, so I wondered if it was missing a spacer. Then I realized there's probably a brake cable hanger that's supposed to be there. The previous owner removed all handbrakes. Am I correct in assuming the loose headset problem will be solved if I get myself some brakes? I'd like to have them on this bike anyway. My other question is which brakes are recommended for an '80s GT Performer. I have some stuff lying around but admittedly I've never really worked with handbrakes before so I'm still green. My main ride is a coaster brake Sting-Ray.

Here's some pics. One of the bike itself, the other to clearly illustrate what I'm talking about.

OFOMUmH.jpg

pD9x2TB.jpg

I agree with HXCF re: rotors vs gyros.... Odyssey took over with Gyros later. However, looking at the GT catalog from '87, and most of the bikes on the museum, the '87 GT Performer seems to be equipped with a gyro....
http://www.scribd.com/doc/44535163/1987-GT-Catalog
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/gt_bicycles/?year=1987&model=190
As for your GT, that thing has got a coaster tab, but no 990 bosses. From the catalog, it seems like they had 990 bosses on the Pro Performer, but not the base one. From the pics, it looks like GT had useda bolt-on adaptor and 990s on the 87 Performer, and most folks on the museum seem to have retained this system, more or less. The 990 goes down-low, under the chinstays...

I'd normally suggest just adding a spacer to the headset stack to solve the looseness, and then I'd just run a coaster brake, since that's cheap and your frame has a tab, BUT b/c you got those awesome mags and stuff, I'd get a 990 adaptor plate http://www.danscomp.com/products-PARTS/489057/990_Brake_Plate.html and some 990s; might as well get a gyro, too, although I've always despised them, personally. If you don't plan on doing barspins, you might be happier to just run a spacer instead....

HTH
-Rob

Last edited:
Crap! I've corrected the fork issue. Thanks to everyone who's chimed in with information. Picked up some spacers from my LBS and the difference is night and day. Maybe someday I'll throw on a gyro but in the meantime this does the job. Really appreciate the insight on these bikes guys. Now I'll just cross my fingers for a warm winter!

Gyro for sure was standard equipment on an 87 Performer.

If you want the best HS ever find a GT Epoch. Adjust it properly once and it never loosens up, evah!

Latest posts

Back