Remove clicking sound from Nexus

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After putting numerous nexus 3 speeds on customers bikes I'm finally putting one on my own, only thing is I'm not crazy about the clicking sound when coasting. Is there anyway I can remove it?

You can't eliminate the clicks, but you can noticeably quiet them down by adding some more grease to the pawls (this is why some are noisier than others). Use the recommended Nexus white grease, or something similar, which is kind of creamy and buttery. Using a grease that's too thick, and/or sticky can mess up the performance of the hub.

I will add.... if you do re-grease things with the Nexus white, avoid using it on the brake shoes, or you may introduce brake squeal. I've had good results using "Slick Honey" grease, for internals and brakes, in Nexus 3's and 7's. A mechanic at one of my LBS's is religious about using Park Polylube 1000 when overhauling Nexus 3's, although I've never tried using it myself.

On freewheels and clusters I hav used the Lucas oil stabilizers on the little paws that makes the clicking noise it works good but I couldn't say what long term results would be but it brings the noise down dramaticall it may work on the three speeds to as long as you can get it where it needs to be I've not had any experience with them.

If the pawls don't click, then they won't engage the hub. You could quiet them down with grease, as mentioned above. If you don't want to open the hub, maybe some kind of insulation around the hub shell would give the same amount of sound reduction.

its a happy sound. it means your hub is doing what it's supposed to.

Latest posts

Back