3 sp questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was out riding my bike yesterday, which I just had a new 3 speed rear wheel put on, and the hub started acting up. The peddles move like 3-4 inches before they engage the gears. Also, as I start to peddle really hard, it feels likes the gears are not engaging completely, it seems like the chain is slipping around the sprocket. Thanks for any help, Dave.

Which hub (specifically) are we talking here? Are you familiar with the proper adjustments? New or previously ridden? Enquiring minds want to know! LOL

Its a shimano nexxus 3 speed hub, brand new. The adjustments are really easy to do. The hub worked excellent for 3 miles, then it started to have the free play in the peddles. In the next mile or so, it started the skipping problem. This was a new felt rear wheel.

It should be under warranty. I would let the store handle the problem and fix it. Then if it still acts funny, demand a new one.

My new Nexus 3 speed started skipping after a few miles. I adjusted it and it was OK. It did it again after about 200 miles and I adjusted it again and it is OK. Got about 4 - 500 miles so far and I beat it up bad on single track riding. If you can't adjust it send it back. Its obvious advice but watch a video on adjusting one. Watch carefully which way the yellow adjustment indicator moves when you move the adjustment bolt and this will help you set it. I love it as it shifts smoothly even under power climbing a hill. Each time I adjust it I have to turn the adjuster to see if the yellow indicator moves right to left or up and down. I can't remember and have bad eyesight so I just start turning until I figure which way the yellow adjustment indicator is moving and then adjust it. As you say it is real easy to adjust.

Thanks for the help, I'll try adjusting again. I thought you could adjust it once and forget it. Mine sounds just like what happened to yours.

Cables stretch, especially after they're first installed. Good thing about the Nexus Inter-3 is that running it out of adjustment doesn't cause the damage to it that doing the same thing to a S-A hub does.

I checked the adjustment, and it was out. I adjusted it again, took it for a short ride, and everything was good. Thanks again for the help.

Apparently they adjust easier the second time:cool2: Nice to see it was an easy fix!

Sturmey Archer!!!!! :rockout: Never had a bad one that was adjusted right. Sturmey 3-spd coasters rule.

Sturmey Archer!!!!! :rockout: Never had a bad one that was adjusted right. Sturmey 3-spd coasters rule.
I've been lucky enough to have ridden many miles on SA, Shimano, and Sachs 3 speed coasters. They all did well when adjusted properly, but the smoothest shifting and best braking was the Sachs.

I've been lucky enough to have ridden many miles on SA, Shimano, and Sachs 3 speed coasters. They all did well when adjusted properly, but the smoothest shifting and best braking was the Sachs.

Yeah, the Sachs products were always good; lately, i've read some negative stuff about many of the SRAM offerings (SRAM took over Sachs in the 90s or whenever); most love the new Automatix hub (which i want) but I'e heard alot of complaints about the 3, 7, and 8speed hubs. Complaints about replacement parts have been ever-present, but also some complaints about reliability and precision. I wanna try it out for myself before I can condemn them myself, but this new rep coupled with my love for the Sturmey-Arc her stuff has prevented it.

Have you tried any recent SRAM IGHs? If so, what did you think?

The Bendix yellow band 2 speed kickback was my favorite hub of all time, until I got the SRAM Automatix. I've been riding the coaster version for about a year now. I accidentally bought the freewheel version first so I have 2. Many of the reviews on Amazon (cheapest price I've found) don't like where the shift point is, but it works for me. My bike is a 20" folder so bigger wheels will shift at higher speeds, mine hits second at 7mph, just right for the traffic I ride in. You can change out the cog to change your cadence when riding. I'm putting the freewheel hub on a 24" wheel, it'll probably shift at 10mph. Excellent coaster brake.

German made Sachs Dreigang 515's and 311's (earlier version) 3-spd coasters seem to have cleaner and more precision high-carbon metals and machining inside. They are also supposed to have the least resistance drag in neutral than any other 3spd's in lab tests. In my experience, the 515 is easily on a par with the sturmey counterparts, and I run them on a couple of rods I have. I will say that they are also becoming a favorite of mine as well.

Latest posts

Back