Let's see your Zep...I mean Snyder Fastback Sport Frame

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my '38 Zep.

20150128_140125.jpg

Quick answer: your frame was made by Snyder, sold by Wards, it never was a Zep. This basic frame style was a "Zep" model in 1937. It had a locking fork, side-stand, and no ears for dropstand on the rear fork ends...among other things that made the bike a Zep.
Spend a few bucks on the Elgin/Higgins/Hawthorne book from the cabe, worth every nickel.

Quick answer: your frame was made by Snyder, sold by Wards, it never was a Zep. This basic frame style was a "Zep" model in 1937. It had a locking fork, side-stand, and no ears for dropstand on the rear fork ends...among other things that made the bike a Zep.
Spend a few bucks on the Elgin/Higgins/Hawthorne book from the cabe, worth every nickel.
If it isn't an actual Zep, what did they call this model?

If it isn't an actual Zep, what did they call this model?

I don't think these Hawthorne bikes had names in 1938 and 1939, and the catalog pages I've seen don't show them with chain guards. The guard you have is shown as an accessory.
These bikes were sold as "value" models, noted as "lowest price we know of..." in Wards cat's.
Have you tried to look for original paint on the fenders, frame, and fork?

Last edited:
I don't think these Hawthorne bikes had names in 1938 and 1939, and the catalog pages I've seen don't show them with chain guards. The guard you have is shown as an accessory.
These bikes were sold as "value" models, noted as "lowest price we know of..." in Wards cat's.
Have you tried to look for original paint on the fenders, frame, and fork?
I was previous I got it from was told by previous owner he got it from, that it was sand blasted and repainted, then has faux patina added.

I was previous I got it from was told by previous owner he got it from, that it was sand blasted and repainted, then has faux patina added.

Perfect! You've been released from the encumbrance of "correctness" and are now free to put you're own mark on it. :thumbsup:

I look at these, and then at my Cannondale, and wonder if anyone has done a skinny tire racer version? I think everything on my CAD2 would go right on one and be slick. I see my next frame search...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back