LTJ's fresh finds: Vintage looptail BMX!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great lil car...The color looks cool,purple haze... just flake it,with those rims would look pimpin...
or
images
images

I thought I heard that a 280Z motor pops right into a 510. Is the same true for the Stanza. Cool little car, I never see anything like that around here, the winter salt ate them all up a long time ago..
Not sure on the L28 but I have the L20b out of a 910 ready to slot in if I feel it needs an upgrade! :thumbsup:

Luke.

I did a total rebuild on a 72 Datsun 510 - 2 dr. I had a 2.2 L in mine, but the LB20 is a very popular swap. I would not expect the Z 6 cyl to fit, but I've seen a lot of stranger things done to 510s. Lots of Z car parts fit the 510 which makes it so popular, and a relatively cheap project. Too bad that they went back to the solid rear axle, after '73 - I believe. The IRS rear was one of the things that made that car. I had lots of Z car parts on mine. Front disks, Bucket Seats, 6-spoke wheels, 4 speed trans., other things that escape my memory right now. I made a deal with a powder coat shop, and on Saturdays, I blasted parts, and the next week when he was shooting black, he ran my parts thru the oven. Nearly every metal part ended up powder coated. Was a fun car. Last 2 speeding tickets were from it. Ha! I have a picture at home, I'll try to dig up later.

I did a total rebuild on a 72 Datsun 510 - 2 dr. I had a 2.2 L in mine, but the LB20 is a very popular swap. I would not expect the Z 6 cyl to fit, but I've seen a lot of stranger things done to 510s. Lots of Z car parts fit the 510 which makes it so popular, and a relatively cheap project. Too bad that they went back to the solid rear axle, after '73 - I believe. The IRS rear was one of the things that made that car. I had lots of Z car parts on mine. Front disks, Bucket Seats, 6-spoke wheels, 4 speed trans., other things that escape my memory right now. I made a deal with a powder coat shop, and on Saturdays, I blasted parts, and the next week when he was shooting black, he ran my parts thru the oven. Nearly every metal part ended up powder coated. Was a fun car. Last 2 speeding tickets were from it. Ha! I have a picture at home, I'll try to dig up later.
Sounds awesome! i hope you find the photos!

My Sister-In-Law has decided she does want it, but I am on the look out for one for myself, so you never know, I might find another...

Luke.

So Luke, did you end up putting the wheels on the Datsun or keeping then for your future stash? Just wondering. I think they would have made the little car rock.

They will end up on there after I get it all ready for registration, making my way through the front suspension rubbers and joints at the moment, the inspectors here are really strict and I want this to pass easily when the time comes!

The wheels will go on though, she has taken a liking to them! There may well be a re-spray happening too, she likes blue...

Luke.

Well a few changes with the Stanza...

My Sister-In-Law's health is really not the best and when she test drove the car it stalled out on her twice while it was cold and got her a bit stressed out. She has limited experience with older cars and cold running, a little bit of throttle with the choke, the sort of thing that comes naturally when you are used to it...

Anyway we had a sit down and talk about it and she decided something newer with fuel injection and air-conditioning would be better for her with her health the way it is, it may help her to get out and about more often which would be a good thing!

Anyway, that means the little Datsun is coming back my way, I will start a thread for it in "The Other Talk" when I start the major work on it, just normal maintenance and small repairs at the moment.

I have designed a little age appropriate curved end roof rack for it to carry bikes that will get made up at some point and am currently leaning towards leaving the exterior mainly standard, even adding a metal exterior sun-visor and a white Venetian blind in the back window, get the real granny look happening...

Of course the 2" lowered suspension and 15" steel wheels I am planning may ruin that effect slightly... I am not really a fan of the 14" wheels that came spare with the car, so they will probably end up on eBay...

Been researching brake and diff upgrades, so there may well be 4 wheel 12" discs going on with 4 pot callipers on the front and duals on the rear, probably a modified Toyota Hilux diff as apparently the originals don't like much more torque than standard. I already have an L20b and five speed to go in along with a dual side-draft set up from a 200b SSS that would probably kill the original diff with any sort of spirited driving...

We live only about an hour away from Winton Raceway which runs open track days, so I am leaning towards a fairly balanced track set up rather than huge horsepower or straight line speed...

http://www.wintonraceway.com.au/drive/fun-days

Luke.

I know your car is not a 510, but interesting reading about a Datsun in your part of the world that makes 700hp on the street.:113:
DATSUN-510-5591.jpg

http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/10/a-9-second-700hp-street-legal-datsun-510/
It may be registered, but I notice it is restricted rego! Still an impressive car!

Found another Bratz bike the other day for $5, now I have two! That style of cantilever frame is fairly rare over here is Australia, and I have been looking for another to finally build my version of this:

16467339042_5f6a23e860_o.jpg

Luke.

So, back to finding bikes at last!

Mongoose PRO road bike with full Shimano Sora groupset including brifters (combined brake levers and shifters) Alex double wall rims, full aluminium frame, CroMo forks...

17256876710_27c75064bc_z.jpg

17256697058_7e896bc44e_z.jpg

16824185053_3c0b84bebe_z.jpg

17258192899_562a0131de_z.jpg

17442460322_be11179d9f_z.jpg

Not really sure on my plans for this, mainly just wanted to see how brifters work and have a play with it, it is close to my size if I wanted a roadbike to roll around on...

Luke.

Scored an awesome bike today!
@kelvin hahnel gave me this bike in trade for some work I did for him, perfect period Klunker, check out the length of those chain stays!:

22442692900_7b3ab87ee5_z.jpg

Great bars and stem:

22007850954_cdbb61f747_z.jpg

Nice straight blade BMX style forks in chrome, should clean up nice:

22630603245_87052ba4bc_z.jpg

Thinking about some aluminium rims and a switch to coaster brake for no cables, a general clean and then ride!

Thanks again Kel!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back