(WBO) Bhuzzard

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys.
Looks great... You didn't have the Jaws of Life just sitting around???
I misplaced my Jaws of Life, so I had to improvise. It's probably under the couch cushion with the remote.:21:
Nice work! That method might work for gaining tire clearance too.
I'm sure that it would. The tool is going in the collection in case the need comes up again.

Last edited:
The crank arm is done.

To bend the dogleg I stuck it in a vise, had Charlie heat it cherry red at the bottom bend and I pulled it over with a long cheater bar. Then I moved it down in the vice and repeated the process at the mid point to bend it back to 90 deg.
After it cooled, we checked it with a digital level and to my surprise, I hit the mark within 2 degrees. I decided that it is close enough. If it bothers me later when I test ride it, I can take it back apart and try to get a perfect 90.
100_8711_zpscd7oggfp.jpg

Nice job!

The fork that I'm planning to use is from a girls bike and is therefore too long. I had been waiting on a die for threading forks that finally came in this past week, so it got the first use. I didn't want to spend more for the handle than the die cost, so I ground a flat spot on two sides and clamped it in my vice. I then turned the fork to cut the threads. I'll decide how much to cut off the fork later.
You can see the fresh threads in the photo...
100_8717_zpsuxqtgkzt.jpg

Edit:
You can buy these on feePay for $14.99 shipped!
CLICK HERE

Last edited:
What is that thread/die size for us googlie challenged?

Carl.

What is that thread/die size for us googlie challenged?

Carl.

1"-24 TPI Right Hand Thread.

I've been wanting one for a while. Not only is it good for cutting new threads, but it's also useful for cleaning up damaged or cruddy threads.

I've been wanting one for a while. Not only is it good for cutting new threads, but it's also useful for cleaning up damaged or cruddy threads.
Yeah me too!
I saw a box a month ago with a bunch of dies in it at an antique mall nearby. For sale individually, seems to me like they were inexpensive too. I'm goin' back...

Carl.

Sexy torch work... and more than a little jealous. Found myself in the need for that 1x24 die the other day but just couldn't justify the C-note yet :(
That's why I had never bought one. The Park Tools complete tool with handle and guide (which is very nice and I would love to have one) is over $200!

You can buy these on feePay for $14.99 shipped!:happy:
CLICK HERE

Last edited:
All ratters should have this 1"x 24tpi die....you can get them on ebay in a wide variety of quality and price. After relying on the LBS to cut steerer threads for me, I also decided as did the RenMan to just get one!!!:thumbsup:

Even though I'm a sucker for cool springers, I also really like truss forks. For this bike I've planned from the beginning to use this locking truss fork that I bought from DoubleNickle almost two years ago. I believe that it's a Schwinn but I'm not sure (maybe someone can set me straight on that).

Now that it's threaded to fit the bike, I've started messing with making truss rods for it. The first thing that I discovered was that the stand-offs where too narrow for the rods to clear the fender. I don't know if it was made for a narrow fender or if they where bent in at some point. Either way, it's a problem. So, once again, some heating and bending was required.:)

It's hard to tell from the angle of the photo, but the stand-offs are now wider than the fork. Problem solved, now I can start fabbing some rods.

100_8728_zpst7ibteif.jpg

Thanks for the info, I've got stacks of those long neck prewar girl's forks that I thought I'd have to trash or make into art, you just made my day.

I needed a truss bracket, so I cut one out of 1/8" steel and bent it into shape. To bend it and not distort the flat areas that bolts things together, I used an old fork with two races and a couple of 3/8" bolts. After that, I applied some heat and pushed the bolts over to the approximate position. Any tweaking for final fit should be easy to cold bend into place.

Truss%20Bracket_zpsrfppgk6g.jpg

I am the same digging the springers. I wanted to go the truss rod look on my last build. So I went with both. I am sure you are familiar with the shock ease but for those who are not. They are pretty cool but have an odd springer action. Photo's are not mine. Too lazy to go out and shoot what I have.

shockease_zpspcezbi1k.jpg
shock20ease_zps1gt7gokn.jpg

Latest posts

Back