fat tired cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone make a fat tired cruiser? A bike without the mountain bike style frame? I posted yesterday about the bikes direct cruiser, which only has 50mm wheels. I want my bike to have 80-100mm rims. Thanks for any help, Dave.

Go to Felt's website and click on bikes, then cruisers and then fat tire. They have 4 models of fat tire cruisers ... two are single speeds, one has a 2-speed kickback hub, and there's one that's a 3-speed. All three have the classic cantilever style cruiser frame

Thanks, I've seen these, and don't know if I wanted to wait till they are available. Also, the cheapest one is $800, the most expensive is 900. I did find a Sun crusher with a 7 speed for $525. If I don't hear any thing bad about them, I may get one of those.

The Sun Spider with a 2-speed kickback hub has a really good "cruiser feel" to it. And it rides nice. I have done 20 mile rides on the desert with it and it was as easy (to me anyway) as when I do the ride with a multi-speed mtn bike style fat bike.

Thanks Patrick. I think I'm going with a 7 sp. I have a Dolomite, and a beast right now.

The Sun Crusher is a great bike. Definitely what I would buy if I was looking. You will probably like it better than your beast.

If you want a cruiser feel....go with either the Phat or the Sun Crusher....

The Phat's have a true flat foot geometry being about the biggest difference.

The Sun Crusher (I got my wife one); is an AMAZINGLY smooth riding bike...I upgraded the front to disc brakes for her too

Shanker, thanks for the heads up on the phat bike, I really likes the looks of it. Timothy, like the look of your kustom kruiser. Was it hard to get the 80mm wheels to fit? I have a Dyna cruiser I put felt 50mm on, it really doesn't seem like there is much room left.

The chain is almost touching the tire. The chain line needed to be adjusted so I upgraded the bottom bracket from an american bb to mid. I got the bb from danscomp.com it has square tapered spindle so paired it up origin8 cranks with a sins 35 t chain ring. The bike came with a 4 speed hub. My rear drop out is 135mm instead of the standard 110mm which most coaster brakes are.

Ronark, your cruiser is boss. Where do you find that rear tire? The tire choice is super kool!

82mm Surly Rolling Darlly rims
Flame 26x3.0 tires
Dyno 26" frame
Very tight, the rim has to be trued with these fat tires to keep tire from rubbing frame. Also had to put extra washers to move chainguard out, but it can be done and will look SWEET.

Ziggy: I dig the heck out of that back tire. Wish they made it all the way up to a four inch slick style tire. Yours has a tread design on it, but I would also like to see it in a slik style. I have added a 20 X 3.0 tire to a 1999 Schwinn Stingray, it was a tight fit also, but just like in your case, it worked out. Don't think the 3.0 tire would work on an older Stingray that wasn't made by Giant Bicycles, Giant made the seat and chain stays wider on their reproduction Stingrays.

Last edited:
I just picked up a Felt Speedway with a 2 speed kickback hub yesterday. Lots of first here for me, first fat tire, first cruiser, first kickback 2 speed. I had the bars flipped so it is not a lay down ride any longer. With that it is a great ride, yes it was expensive but for me it was so worth it. I already can't stay off of it!

I just picked up a Felt Speedway with a 2 speed kickback hub yesterday. Lots of first here for me, first fat tire, first cruiser, first kickback 2 speed. I had the bars flipped so it is not a lay down ride any longer. With that it is a great ride, yes it was expensive but for me it was so worth it. I already can't stay off of it!
Very cool! Got any pics?

Luke.

Latest posts

Back