Help to I.D. this swap meet find please

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My guess:

Mid- to late-30s Model C; if it's a 18" seat tube (as it appears to be), it's likely a bc117. The Model C bikes were the entry-level/"popular price" bikes, but they had the raddest geometry, in my opinion.

63205grnbc1.jpg

I agree that the chainguard might be a replacement, but it ain't a '54. It's pre-war, pre-fire... so the serial number info is lost....

From the center of bottom bracket to the top of seat tube is 18 1/2 if that's how it's done. I was thinking the frame and fork looked Schwinn but haven't seen one up close, kind of similar to my late 40's DX
I agree the chain guard did not look like a good fit,

Serial on the BB signifies 52 and earlier. The rear dropout location of the number is 52 and later. The known numbers go back to 48, and your number is before that.

You're right, the chainguard is a postwar aftermarket item. Frame and fork is Schwinn, agree it looks like a C model. The w serial number is likely from early 1938 (although records for serial numbers were destroyed in 1948, there are lists pieced together for pre war numbers). The fenders don't appear to be Schwinn, the rear definitely doesn't fit the frame, indents and screw don't line up with upper rear stays.

where I will admit I know very little about these old Schwinn's but the way the serial is stamped I will agree with 30's Schwinn from what I gather they hand stamped each number so they were never perfectly aligned( and feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this).so yeah I would say cds2323 is spot on on that also the black monark is right on the forks dating it pre ww II really cool piece of history there hope to see it restored.
sean

This is a DX:
b41_01.jpg

(Not mine, but it is quite rad....) Notice the midtube's gentle arc, plus most DX bikes have a curved downtube, as well---some early DX bikes have a straight downtube, though)

This is a Model C:
blue_01.jpg

Also not mine, but notice the straight midtube and downtube, and also notice how incredibly off-the-chain, over-the-top HOT the frame's lines are....

I pulled both these pics off of Alan Bond's site, clunkers.net . Even if you don't klunk and have no interest in klunkers, the site provides a lot of info and some awesome photos.

Latest posts

Back