Never seen before

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This may be a pretty common thing but I have never seen it before. I was parting out some trash picked bikes when I came across this

Looks like a skip tooth mixed with a regular chain ring. Is this common and I just never noticed before?

A 1st on me too and think it's not a 'skip tooth' although skipped it does not look as if it's correctly spaced for a traditional 'skip tooth' but skipped because, it looks like it's spaced to size of standard chain, and it's a missing teeth because it's an 'cheaped tooth' chain ring.

Albeit, maybe made that way because they thought it would transition easier like that.

Last edited:
I see I accidently posted this in the wrong section. Should have been bike talk,ops!
It is off a Sears bike so cheap could be an explanation.

I have seen this before and I don't know why they did it except maybe it made the chain pickup work a little easier when shifting gears...

Carl.

It is meant to do with ease of shifting to and from the big ring, allows more angle offset between the teeth... As far as I understand anyway...

Luke.

Also keeps the chain from getting excessive wear ,on the outer edge, when changing gears.

could you run a skip tooth chain with that ?o_O that would be different. just askin'

The spacing of the teeth on a 1" chain is not identical to skipping a tooth on a 1/2" chain. People sometimes people cut teeth from a 1/2" rear cog which sort of works because it only engages over a short distance. Even if the tooth spacing would work, the difference in thickness would make a 1" pitch chain sloppy and would probably eat it in short order.

I had a new 10 speed, from J C Penny, with that kind of ring. I think it was to save money by using less metal. That was one cheap bike, in every way.

Latest posts

Back