1959 Edsel Ranger -- mild custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A V8 is in it's future for sure. I like 390's but I am planning to cruise the wheels off of this thing. You know, catch up on all of the relaxing miles it has missed out on over the years. A not so correct 289/302 will probably be the engine of choice after the 6 cylinder pulls up lame. Automatic and vintage air will probably come with a new power plant also. All in good time of course. I can't just pull a good running car apart with summer coming up soon. A 390 might help lower the front end down though.:)
It might not, a srtaight six is pretty heavy. Even the 2.3 is about 10lbs or so lighter than the 5.0 both are a little over 300lbs fully dressed with fluids.

Nice Ride ! , Glad too see your a Ford Man ....!

~Rafael~
Naw man, I really just love the odd stuff! I like Ford's, but it seems that every car from the 50's and early 60's had some very unique lines.

I got my 59' caddy tail lights and amber dots for the clear backup lenses today. If I get them installed before dark, I'll post some pics.

Sounds cool, you planning on painting it ? I think it looks good to go as is !

~Rafael~

Yeah Rafael, my plan is to do the roof and the beltline between the trim with some shiny red metal flake and leave the rest of the car as it is.
THE MILD CUSTOM STAGE........HAS BEGUN!!!

1959 Edsel w/ 59 caddy tail lights.

IMG_1335.JPG

IMG_13361.JPG

Check this pic out, Looks like AFTERBURNERS!!!

IMG_1337.JPG

The FE 390 wasn't available yet. The FE engine was first used in 58 that later added the 390 in 1961.

It would be an ultimate shame to mess with it and have it stay factory as it should. Sorry but I'm disappointed that anyone would change anything on that car that doesn't need to be.

http://www.edsel.com/pages/edsel59.htm

No need to be sorry. I understand how many people feel about keeping cars as factory original as possible. I guess that growing up as a hot rodder, I always thought that the "factory" could be improved on! I have to personalize my car, in my style. But, I do respect your opinion.:)

No need to be sorry. I understand how many people feel about keeping cars as factory original as possible. I guess that growing up as a hot rodder, I always thought that the "factory" could be improved on! I have to personalize my car, in my style. But, I do respect your opinion.:)
Meh........Chop it. Make it yours, you see my avatar.... I wouldn't have it any other way!:cool2:

I've been working on the grille today. Bought 31 cheap drawer knobs. Here it is all mocked up. I will black out the lexan behind the knobs before I do the final installation.

IMG_1346.JPG

I've been working on the grille today. Bought 31 cheap drawer knobs. Here it is all mocked up. I will black out the lexan behind the knobs before I do the final installation.

IMG_1346.JPG
Now that is sixties custom!

Luke.

That thing is sweet! A buddy had a front clip from an Edsel on his 59 Ranchero. We called it the Edselero.

Your can get clear bullets for your backup lights, I think Mooneyes sells them. Also, that thing is begging for some Bellflower tips!

Last edited:
That thing is sweet! A buddy had a front clip from an Edsel on his 59 Ranchero. We called it the Edselero.

Your cac get clear bullets for your backup lights, I think Mooneyes sells them. Also, that thing is begging for some Bellflower tips!

Yeah, I have seen the clear caddy tail lights. I just thought that keeping the original backup lens (with an amber dot) added some character. You know, a personal opinion thing. Yeah, bellflower tips WILL come eventually....I may wait until I put a V8 in it.

Next up is Aerostar springs in front and lowering blocks in the rear. Black wheels and spider caps. THEN it will have turned the corner from stock to mild custom.

Well, we had the NSRA street rod nationals in town this weekend. And, I kicked the Edsel around town, I was a bit surprised at all of the interest it got. I am done with it, at least for this summer. I will metal flake the roof and ad some 15" wheels, Lancer caps, and wide whitewalls over the winter. I'm happy with the results!

IMG_1394.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Removed the wipers and installed bullet covers. Rain X is the only way to go on a classic, no dangerous metal wiper arms to scratch the windshield if the blade comes apart.
IMG_13961.JPG

I had to doll up the interior a bit with 50's add one. Fuzzy dice and a red teardrop shift knob that will match nicely when I get around to painting the roof.
IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_13881.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

Latest posts

Back