new bikes for the outlaws

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
(inlaws)

my wife's folks were due for new bikes, so rather than get em some off the shelf junk that will get mixed up at the pier, i decided to get some used frames from INDCHUCKZ and build them some mid grade industrial cruisers.

most every part i ordered came from niagara cycle. good prices and free shipping over $150.

frames from chuck-
37A9ADC5-0FDA-4265-AC96-B2517E2D2FDD_zpsc6p3njff.jpg

after powder coat -
23854A4E-9C0F-48D2-AF8F-A57F73A2CC2E_zps3aumcpxh.jpg

got the wheels, tires, and tubes assembled. re greased (more like greased, not much in there) all the hubs-
57EF9373-8EFA-4D30-9A51-293AF3F384BF_zpsl0d6pfyi.jpg

got the cranks and bottom brackets in, greased, and the seat post clamps on-
55ABAFDE-49FE-459F-8C36-B9D0E45D2759_zpsh6zwwfuf.jpg

the parts list is pretty generic, just basic cruiser stuff. kenda block knobby 26x2.125 tires on weinmann/shimano alloy 12g wheels. forged 175mm OPC, simple sprockets, etc.

still waiting for the headsets to come in from industrial bikes. once they get in, i can get the rest of it buttoned up. was hoping for mothers day, but it'll definitely be before memorial day.

thanks for lookin.

Two good looking, practical, builds. Good call on the colors and keeping things simple. Less chance of failures, less chance of complaints.
Build on brother!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yeah, I'm a fan of the K.I.S.S. system

i let them tell me what colors. they both wanted whitewalls, but i hate whitewalls, and i know they won't keep them clean, so black walls it is.

just wanted to give em two solid bikes that will last for years to come. likely the last bikes they'll ever need.

thanks for the kind words.

this post has absolutely nothing to do with my build, but i came home from running errands and my neighbor had a bicycle body kit in the driveway, i get out and he asked if i had any old cruisers laying around.

most certainly did, gave him an older huffy, I'm pretty sure is US built, but id not had the heart to junk it, as it was in pretty ok shape.

it will see a new grand life as a custom bike.

my neighbors do all sorts of rad stuff, the kids are insane fabricators and do custom cars.

check out engle bros. fab on Facebook or instagram
E106401A-10A5-4D9F-8AD1-A313CAA5A431_zpshaiyyn7y.jpg

4B22C30F-1824-47AF-B285-398B6F49105A_zpsd9cbhgk6.jpg

Where did they get that bike kit? I'm wondering if it's mass produced.

The Worksmans look great. If the chain wheels are 48 tooth, you may want to go with 20 toothed cogs to keep them easy to pedal.

Where did they get that bike kit? I'm wondering if it's mass produced.

The Worksmans look great. If the chain wheels are 48 tooth, you may want to go with 20 toothed cogs to keep them easy to pedal.

I'm not sure where they got the kit. They have all sorts of funky stuff

As for the worksmans, front sprocket is 44, mine is 44/20, and it's too easy to pedal, theirs are going to be 44/18.

got back onto the bikes for a bit this evening.

got the headsets in last week, but been buried at work. tonight i got the headsets in, forks on, stems in, bars and grips on, and put on the front wheels.

4342FB18-1AAF-47EC-B260-B3B85FE827A2_zps3vytycn6.jpg

it was at this point i realized..... i forgot to make them seat posts. and couldn't go forward until i get the seat posts and seats on, i need to get some chain tensioners, and kickstands. guess a trip to the LBS is in order tomorrow. hope to wrap em up for them tomorrow.

one down. actually still need a spacer washer for under the fork top nut
442D9DAE-F98B-4AB5-B80D-6EE7A6518418_zpszken0uf0.jpg

will adjust bars and seat to suit him when i deliver the bikes (or they pick em up)

one to go, the M.I.L.'s bike is fully together, but the seat post won't slide in. after wrestling it for an hour (it got stuck HARD) i took it back to the shop and turned it down about .010" now it slides in as far as it did, but still sticks hard about 2.5" down the seat tube (about where the upper chain stay tubes are welded/brazed on. tomorrow ill go get my drill from the shop and a hone and hone the tube to fit.

got the ladies bike done today, got washers for under the fork crown nut. had to shorten the legs of the basket about 2" to get it to sit right, and close to the bars etc.

mother in laws bike:
B73F2DED-AF32-452E-A6C2-078C2CB07777_zpseigwbz9y.jpg

the pair of em:
AC51CFA4-7FA0-4F73-8CFA-7AE08050C886_zpsktbmlgxz.jpg

Latest posts

Back