1959 Edsel Ranger -- mild custom

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're making me want to get to work on my car now...

I saw a 59 Edsel 4-door in town a while back, few years ago (was at an empty house, car and house were rotting away) and then one day it disappeared. Most people have seen the '58 grille, not too many people recognize the '59 from the side (I didn't at first).

Yeah, I rushed around to have it ready to cruise the Street Rod National last weekend. I will slow down working on it now, until winter....then let the flake fly!!

I'm going to one next weekend in Capitola, Ca. on the beach, nice show. we'll be bringing 2 32 fords, a 32 phaeton, and a 32 sport coupe. I'll post a few pictures of the show next weekend. In the meantime Big Ape, drive it and have fun with it this summer.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd love to find a car like that to drive every day. My '55 isn't a show car but it's never going to see regular use.
I think you set it up just right.
As for a power plant, there are so many cool options... I think a Caddy 472/500 would be way cool. I swapped one into my crewcab dually and love it, plus it's always extra cool to run Caddy power.

No more shows anywhere around you? you have all summer, right?

Oh yeah, plenty of shows to go to. I just wanted it ready for the Street Rods. In the fall we have the H.A.M.B. drags out at Mokan in Asbury Mo. That is my favorite event in this part of the country. Race cars and show cars all have to be 1963 and earlier. Makes me feel like a kid again!!!

I'd love to find a car like that to drive every day. My '55 isn't a show car but it's never going to see regular use.
I think you set it up just right.
As for a power plant, there are so many cool options... I think a Caddy 472/500 would be way cool. I swapped one into my crewcab dually and love it, plus it's always extra cool to run Caddy power.

Thanks Joe. Yeah, there is a fine line between driver and garage queen. When you realize what a door ding would cost to repair on a high end paint job, you either worry every time you park or you just quit taking it out. I used to built my engines too radical, lurching at the stop lights, on the verge of overheating, too loud to have a conversation in the car, etc. But those days are behind me now. Oh, heck.... what am I talking about...... when I redo the Rambler, it will be just like that, paint and motor!

Well, I switched lens on the backup lights. I think these will stay, but I'm not as stoked about them now that they are installed.

IMG_14121.JPG

My big news over the weekend is that I met a great pinstripe artist at the Queen City Riot car show. Got a bunch of work done on the Edsel and still have plans for some other pinstripe work later on.

IMG_14111.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

IMG_14141.JPG

IMG_14151.JPG

IMG_1416.JPG

I think I would put the caddy lights on the back up lights two...it would flow better...nice job on the pin stripes.

I think I would put the caddy lights on the back up lights two...it would flow better...nice job on the pin stripes.

Yeah, I will probably give in and buy the clear caddy lights at some point. I actually thought that I would like the different height between the tail lights and backup lights.

I would just put the red ones on....they maybe a little more dim when backing up at night time...but how often do you do that. :) Heck just get rid of the back up light and hook it up to your taillights.

I would just put the red ones on....they maybe a little more dim when backing up at night time...but how often do you do that. :) Heck just get rid of the back up light and hook it up to your taillights.

Man, now you got my wheels turnin! How did the 60's cougars do the sequential flasher? That would be cool with 3 caddy tail lights!

Last edited:
Good old Google search! Sequential flashers are readily available, now to buy another set of red caddy lights and a flasher kit!!

Thanks guys! This is quickly becoming my favorite horse in the stable!

Latest posts

Back