Rat Rod Truck

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found a weak spot in my frame, and added some more tubing. Now it's way over-engineered, and I may remove some of it later, but for now, I can finally sit in the thing without worrying about my weight on it bending anything.
IMG_3212_zpsetggyxaj.jpg

IMG_3211_zpsweg3lfn9.jpg

Also cut some particle board as a seat, which will get some foam and upholstery later.

Very cool idea.
Will be nice to see you cornering with it o_O

Don´t hurt yourself :banghead:

Oh, why did you deside to make the frame with sguare tubing?
I think it would look much better with round tubing and smooth curves...

Oh, why did you deside to make the frame with sguare tubing?
I think it would look much better with round tubing and smooth curves...

My thought was that I wanted this to be a rat rod truck first, but one that just happened to be pedal powered. Rat rod trucks have frames built on square tubing, so that's what I used.

To give everyone else an update, I actually worked on this thing for the first time in a while! I tackled the steering. I welded on a girl's headtube, flipped a fork upside down, and made the linkage to steer it. Gotta clean it up some, but it works!
IMG_3389_zpswvyhdydu.jpg

IMG_3390_zpsosay8bov.jpg

IMG_3391_zpscbdmxfga.jpg

IMG_3392_zpsdirvyhtp.jpg

IMG_3393_zpsusqczfgr.jpg

Got the steering cleaned up better.
IMG_3397_zpspj2r98f7.jpg

IMG_3398_zpsfpyvlpmh.jpg

Then I finally started to work on the drive train, which I've been fearing to do. There are three main ways to do this, each more complex than the last. 1) Do it old school recumbent style, just running some plastic tubing under as a guide for the chain. 2) Install a series of idlers to guide the chain along its path. 3) Install a series of jackshafts to weave the chain under and through the frame.

I decided to try method one first, even though I was pretty sure that it wouldn't work.
IMG_3399_zps35vs1fan.jpg

Bent some PVC I had laying behind a shed, and weaved some chain through it. It did allow me to pedal and brake, but it's very stiff, and difficult to get going. I may use a combination of this with an idler or two at some key spots.

I like how the prominent steering shaft gives it a "hood line".
I vote for the jack shafts, not the easiest but it'll work best.
Looks like the chain needs to run beside the body since it has proper ultra-low stance and clearance underneath is tight. That could be a cool styling cue anyway.

you may have to incorporate a series of jack shafts ?

I vote for the jack shafts, not the easiest but it'll work best.

I tried version two of the simpler chain line, using an idler and the PVC tubes as guides, and that V2.0 was also a fail. Yep, didn't want to do it, but I'm going to need jackshafts or a whole bunch of idlers to guide it under the "cab." That's a big setback, as I don't have the materials, but it looks like the only way to do it right.

If you can build what you've already got, you can do it!
I've made jackshafts for other applications by cutting old bike frame bottom brackets off, cutting the crank arms off and welding other stuff on.
It's just a slowdown... I'm sure you'll come up with something!
I used old car steering shaft rag joints to solve minor alignment issues.

Last edited:
Jack shafts are crazy easy to build. The one that I made for my big green chopper is just a front hub with a small rear sprocket welded to each side. and if you need to make it wider just cut it in half and weld in a piece of tubing to make it the needed width.

But I just wanted to say what a cool build this is. I have always wanted to build a quad cycle too, but like you mentioned I have no idea where I would store it when I was done.

But I actually also just picked up one of those reverse trike things not too long ago, and I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. Right now I am actually leaning towards using it to build a custom low slung radio flyer wagon to haul the kids around. But I don't know yet.

I have always wanted to build a quad cycle too, but like you mentioned I have no idea where I would store it when I was done.

Mine currently sits parked right in my driveway. :rofl: I just put a cable through it, and hope it doesn't get stolen.

Latest posts

Back