Help id

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this bike. Does anyone know what it is and the value of it? Thanks in Advance!
657862335eaec54c3887fb5c479749d5.jpg

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

It looks like a 50's CWC made bike, maybe badged as a Hawthorne or Western Flyer. The serial number will be on the underside of the bottom bracket. A letter followed by 5 numbers and maybe a Cw with another little number over to the right. They may give the exact year of manufacture. It may or may not be original paint, if it is then it's great. If not, it's still a great bike, made in Cleveland.

I think he said the paint was touched up. His father rode the bike during the WWII era so i know its that old. I didn't see the badge but I'll look again! Thanks all!

It looks like the headbadge is gone, but the front of the frame (head tube) may show the outline of where it was. They all had different shapes.
Here's where you'll find the serial number.
fucfb.jpg

That looks a LOT like a 40's CWC to me. I see a bunch of similarities to my Roadmaster. Skip tooth is early....and it has the ears for the rear stand.

Value....Hmm. I had about $200 in mine when it was as complete as this one and I didn't have a rack. I paid $30 IIRC for the mostly stripped frame and fork. With sandblasting, paint, tires,spokes, rims,etc....I don't want to know.

Here's my Roadmaster before all the work...
DSCN2019_zps687b9814.jpg

There are some differences most likely mine is a year or two earlier. Notice especially the seat stays, seatpost clamp (part of the seat tube and not removable) and the dropout position and tabs.

Lots of pics of Roadmaster badges around, Mine had no badge when I got it. Someone told me the center to center distance on the rivet holes can help ID what it was originally badged as. I was glad when I finally verified that my new Roadmaster badge fit mine.

There are tube connections where you can actually get a fingernail into the joint between tubes on many Cleveland Welding bikes... and then there are the brazed joints like mine has (some may be repairs) that are not finished to the same standard as a Schwinn electroforged frame appears to be..

Last edited:
Awesome Dj! I'll check it out! Unfortunately someone has painted over the badge. But i plan on refurbishing it. So maybe I'll find it or some numbers under all that paint.

Its a 1 year only model, 1941 roadmaster tall tank frame. CWC made it and badged this bike hawthorne from the chainring by the looks of it. They also badged western flyer ones.

Nick.

Awesome! You guys know your bikes! How much do you think something like this is worth not going to sell but just interested in
Its value.

Latest posts

Back