Making a Shifter Washer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rollfast-stroker-300-project.93103/#post-921383
My current Rollfast project has a 3 speed shifter that needed an overhaul. I took it completely apart and cleaned it up. I noticed that the thin washer that goes between the shift lever and the main body was kinda chewed up. Off to the hardware store. They had nothing that thin. Thinking to myself in the aisle I decided to get a 3/8" bore bit and a piece of .008 stainless hobby sheet from the train section of the store.
I drilled a small pilot hole in the sheet big enough to allow the bore bit point to pass through. Then I centered the bore bit and at a slow speed allowed the bit to cut the 3/8" hole out. It came out very smooth. Next I used a circle template and made the outer diameter of the washer and cut it out with a pair of small sharp scissors. I placed it on the anvil and tapped it flat with a hammer. Then installed it with a dab of tenacious oil.
I cleaned up the chrome with Autosol Metal Polish. The Autosol cleaned it up pretty good but it will do nothing for pitting. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser on the cable to bring it back to newer looking.
DSCN1068.jpg

DSCN1069.jpg

DSCN1071.jpg

DSCN1072.jpg

DSCN1073.jpg

DSCN1074.jpg

DSCN1076.jpg

DSCN1078.jpg

DSCN1079.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back