Lets Get Creative on Shipping.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... Lets Get Creative on Shipping.
USPS .. If it fits it ships
UPS
Fed Ex
Greyhound
Bike Flights.

In selling items here. People always put in Plus Shipping. Well then they go down and ship it for the most easy way possible for them.
For example. 15.00 to ship a Stem, the Stem cost fifteen or Twenty five dollars to ship a Tire, the used tire price is fifteen.
Things get out of control and unworkable.
Then some sellers get down right GRUMPY when you mention that it is a lot for shipping. Its not that the seller is being called dishonest. Its just too much to ship. Lets Get Creative. How can we work Smarter on our Deals? Why would anyone want to have six hundred dollars invested in a two hundred dollar bike? It all adds up. Think about it.

I know its work to put stuff in boxes, But if we get Creative we can sell more and buy more at reasonable prices.

This Post is meant to help everyone here. So lets get as detailed as possible.
PLEASE DO NOT JUST PUT .... BIKE FLIGHTS IS CHEAP. or FED EX IS GOOD or Post Office is the Best.
If you have ACTUAL Experience with shipping or getting an item. How did you get it. What did you get, How much was shipping.
For EXAMPLE.
You shipped or bought a pair of fenders . They were shipped USPS from California to Minneapolis. It cost Ten Dollars using. Parcel Post.
You shipped or bought a set of tires. They were shipped Fed Ex from New Jersey to Arizona. It cost Fifty Dollars using Tire Flights.
You shipped or bought a frame. They used Bike Flights from Ohio to Texas. It cost Thirty nine dollars. You packed everything really tight. removed fork etc. How did you do it.
Actual experience with prices you paid for shipping and what was the item.
Lets get Creative and Detailed to Educated everyone and make this system work better for All of Us.

Being out in California shipping is a necessary evil. "Add $xx.00 to ship west of the Rockies" is a common sore I have to deal with.
As a seller I always look for the cheapest way, and will usually take a hit on the price to keep shipping reasonable. Sometimes I have to get creative. Right now I have a buyer wanting a group of parts, and a tall sissy bar and 26" wheel are included in that. So I have to find a box big enough to hold them, but small enough not to kill him on shipping costs. It will probably be a guitar box. (same shape as a bike box, but smaller) then I'll send it via BikeFlights. BikeFlights, for larger boxes, has always saved a good chunk on shipping. For instance, for a 40 pound muscle bike it would be about $80 via FedEx, but through BikeFlights it's just under $50. Well worth it.

I purchased a bike frame , price included shipping and it was shipped thru Bikeflights. But.. A Fed Ex ground truck and driver delivered it to my door when I was on the east coast. What Gives? Does anyone know?

Actually bikeflights will go through who ever is cheapest. 9 times out of 10 it is FedEx.
Now, I have been using FedEx pretty much for 3 years(unless a buyer wants another shipper used) and have a business account with them. So far out of the 20 times I have gotten a price with Bikeflights it would be shipped with FedEx. That said, it is 8% cheaper for me to ship through FedEx than it is BikeFlights. Plus since I have an account, I can just run in and drop the package with shipping slip and be on my way.
I like FedEx for shipping and have only had 2 issues with things being routed to wrong areas. 1 happened with some forks I bought years ago. They made it Sact. then headed out to Arizona. I got them 4 days later though. The other was with a customers bars. They made it to Iowa(2hrs from the destination) then ended up going to New York, then back to Ca. then back to Iowa. Now, for 10 years of using them, thats a pretty darn good track record! So far, I haven't had issues with anything being damaged unlike UPS. I don't know if it's just around here but it looks like they love beating and opening everything that comes through! I would never use them just on that fact. Post office is pricey(for my stuff at least) but a necessary evil when shipping out of the continental U.S., not to mention thats an cross town drive and 20 minute wait in line.

*Others experiences may vary

I'm a horder and I buy way more then I sell. I get sometimes confused sometimes on shipping rates I've bought bikes that were sent from Boston and North Carolina and shipping was $36 via usps postal parcel but then I just got two prewar long sprint seats sent from Michigan that cost $27. How does that work does the post office flip a coin to determine their rates for the day? How do you ship a 1928 28 inch wheel base mead across the country and then charge a few dollars less for 2 seats? Mind bender right lol. Bike flights is awesome I recently bought that 55 hornet and he was quoted $146 to ship to vegas through fed ex. By going through bike flights I got shipping for $80 way better deal. From being a buyer to me the real hassle isn't the cost it's the wait. FedEx is awesome my bike was mailed March 8 from Florida and arrived March 14 to my door. Ups same deal tyler sent me 2 bikes from Georgia and made it here in a week. Now usps can kiss my Italian u know what I've waited 2 months to get a package. They seem to be more money to compensate them for sending your package to the end of the world and back. This is great thread good job on this topic :)

I was going to use BikeFlights on a bike that I sold via ebay, but the Ebay quoted me the same price as BikeFlights. Plus I was able to use my Paypal account.

The biggest factor in reducing cost is making sure your box is the right dimensions. Don't assume that the bike box you got will always be the cheapest. Play with the online shipping calculators to find out what an inch or two might do.

Or you can always ship via Greyhound. ;)

When I purchase anything, I figure in the total price. For example A kickstand , If the stand is Fifteen Dollars and Fifteen Dollars for Shipping. My mind says Thirty for the kickstand. I must decided if it is worth thirty more into my bike. If all of us are more Creative and know how to best work the shipping system. Everyone wins.
Just telling a Buyer take it or leave it. No one wins. But this is all about a hobby for me. I think I have sold five bike things over the years. But I have bought a lot. Right now there seems to be no average shipping price. I bought two tanks and two fenders from a guy in Chicago to New Jersey. He charged me Twelve dollars for shipping. The USPS postage label said Twelve dollars and Fifty six cents. Some people get shipping prices of Thirty Five dollars to Fourty Five dollars for shipping same items. What is the difference?

I've had really good luck with shipbikes.com. They work with Fedex. I shipped my full suspension mt bike from NJ to California with them for just under $60. They ship wheels too.

If a seller can sell a $15 kickstand for $15 and end up with $15 in his wallet when the kickstand leaves his possession, why is he supposed to ship the $15 kickstand to you for a total of $15 minus $15 shipping and end up with $0 when it leaves his possession, just because it is a just a hobby to you?
It is a hobby to all of us, but the reality is that if something I want is somewhere else and someone values it at $15, and that person has to spend their money (and time) to satisfy my needs, then I am expecting THAT person to support MY hobby.
I guess some would argue that the seller of the $15 kickstand is being selfish because he isn't willing to give up his time and money for the buyer's hobby, but I believe many would debate that it is actually the other way around.

NO, I am not saying that things should be shipped for free. I am also not saying ANYTHING here to put one side against the other. This is not meant to be a Debate. I am trying to figure out the best way to ship things so that we all can get items delivered in this great country of ours. Things can get unworkable sometimes. unless we work smart with the facts and situation that we have on shipping rates on bike parts.
This not Sellers against Buyers. It is just a Discussion about shipping bike parts as reasonable as possible so that everyone is happy.

how does shipping with greyhound work?? Do you still gotta break the bike down and box it up or can u ship and receive with the bike still together?

I know some guys who are shipping car parts using Fastenall Trucks. It's not delivered to your door though; the seller will have to drop it off and the buyer will have to pick it up at their nearest Fastenall store/warehouse/distribution center. Their trucks are going to that place anyway and they usually have extra room in the truck.

Here's a link from their website from which you can request a quote.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl)

I know some guys who are shipping car parts using Fastenall Trucks. It's not delivered to your door though; the seller will have to drop it off and the buyer will have to pick it up at their nearest Fastenall store/warehouse/distribution center. Their trucks are going to that place anyway and they usually have extra room in the truck.

Here's a link from their website from which you can request a quote.

https://www.fastenal.com/web/en/22/third-party-logistics-(3pl)

That's pretty awesome. There's a Fastenal about 8 miles from me...

how does shipping with greyhound work?? Do you still gotta break the bike down and box it up or can u ship and receive with the bike still together?
Greyhound wants it in a box or in a Bag. Naturally you would have to pad the stuff so it does not poke thru the box or bag. What happens is you drop it off at Greyhound and pick it up at Greyhound. They do not deliver to door. Many people use them because they take oversize stuff compared to delivery companies.

Greyhound In Canada will bring it right to your door or you can go pick it up
depending on what you pay for .
Don't know if you can ship across borders with them but across country rates are very reasonable .

I sent Fastenall a request to ship a frame today, I'll post back with how much they want.

Greyhound wants it in a box or in a Bag. Naturally you would have to pad the stuff so it does not poke thru the box or bag. What happens is you drop it off at Greyhound and pick it up at Greyhound. They do not deliver to door. Many people use them because they take oversize stuff compared to delivery companies.
The thing about using Greyhound is that there is no guarantee of a delivery date. You can track your shipment just like any of the other carriers.
I ordered a bike that shipped from California to Pennsylvania and it sat in Arizona for 5 days. Space availability is the issue. Passengers and there luggage get priority. And shipping was about $110. (Heavy Bike)

The small stuff is expensive to ship,at least that is my experience with shipping via USPS daily. You have to see how you can keep under the size and weight limits, (don't exceed 24 inches or 12 inches if it is close to that size. )And explore all the options with priority and priority flat rate.

It's always a compromise between price and having a large enough box that the piece is protected if they crush it (And they do) The USPS insurance is worthless.
Parcel Select is also a bad deal.. no real help when something gets destroyed as they say it was probably done by contracted carriers like FEDEX or UPS.

Flat rate boxes can be a good deal for long distances or heavy items. For a one state trip, plain old priority is usually the best for us here at the train store.

Online rates are a lot better than walking into the Post Office.

That said, a complete bike thru Bike flights was about half price to UPS and FED Ex. last time I shipped one.

Easiest thing for me is to calculate shipping to the further region at the cheapest rate.

I calculate it into my price with shipping included and offers are always welcomed.

Had a high school kid that wanted some used Felt fenders I had, they would have ran him $30 shipped, what it would cost him to get new, but a different style. He agreed on the price, but I couldn't charge him that so I just charged him the shipping

Latest posts

Back