(ORBO) BMX/MTB/BOMBER/KLUNKER BO .....VOTING FINISHED!......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually found two old light mountain bike frames with American bottom brackets but passed on them. I just traded my 1978 Schwinn Traveler III for a 1990s Fuji CroMo Mountain bike frame. It's an inch taller than what I really want but it will do. So this means I have everything for the 2016 dirt jamboree build off except a front fork. I have front forks, but want a better one. Same for the crank, I am looking for a better one but right now. I have everything except spokes for the rear drum brake wheel. Count me in. In the meantime I will keep looking for better stuff. I got ripped off on the trade but I have no room for the Schwinn and got something I need so it was a win win.

Be prepared for lots of flak if you try to define exactly what a Klunker is or isn't :)
Spoken like a true person on the inside of the history of the mountain bike, and it's origins! Got a good chuckle out of that! :rofl:

I'm in for sure Luke! I was thinking of a klunker, mtb mod, build for BO-X...so my head is already full of ideas. And, the Beer Boy is pretty much ready for delivery, so....the hunt is on for January!;)

I'm in for sure Luke! I was thinking of a klunker, mtb mod, build for BO-X...so my head is already full of ideas. And, the Beer Boy is pretty much ready for delivery, so....the hunt is on for January!;)
Awesome!

Luke.

Lol, "The Plan" has changed 1000 times, reality has prolly been the one constant though- by the time I get my jig built my "build a practice frame or two over the summer and fall" will become "welp, winter is nigh, my virginal attempt is my entry frame" will prolly turn into screw it, I've got that frame over there...

Curse those pesky Starks and all that 'Winter is coming" stuff...

This one sound like it will be a fun one let's see some Buffy klunken stine monster bikes !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If, like myself you are a bit daunted by the "Klunker" mainly because it is rear coaster brake only, and there is so much discussion regarding which coaster brakes are best, and how to modify them to be better for Klunking use, I found something interesting today...

I have been following "Coaster Culture" on FaceBook for a while now, and they just launched an online shop!

In the shop they are offering custom modified CB-E110 Shimano hubs ready to go: Cro-mo axle upgrade, Loose ball driver bearings, chamfered brake shoes and high-temp grease. $55. Simply lace it into your wheel and you will be Klunker ready!

http://www.coasterculture.com/COASTER_BRAKE_MODIFIED_HUB.html

19963241056_f4058bf013_z.jpg

They are also soon to be offering their awesome coaster brake heatsink, no word on price and timeframe yet, but getting one of them would be instant trail cred...

http://www.coasterculture.com/COASTER_BRAKE_HEAT_SINK.html

19981763002_f812da0a3b_z.jpg

19366859824_7b29b85890_z.jpg

I am not posting this for them as advertising or anything, I just really want to this Build-Off to produce some truly awesome Klunkers and offroad bikes!

Luke.

That heat sink would be great to add to a motorized bike as well....just thinking out loud.....
Good thinking! Not sure on what they will price them at, but I can't see them being cheap... Probably be cheaper to change to a disc brake set up if you are prepared to live with cables...

Luke.

Those buggers! The second thing I was going to start hawking once I get my baby lathe up and running was a heat sink for Morrow hubs... now I'll look like a copy-cat. Grrr... :)

But I guess that's what 'competition on the open market' is all about lol.

That heat sink would be great to add to a motorized bike as well....just thinking out loud.....

Cables stink......[emoji12]
Hahahaha
I was more thinking if you already had a throttle cable, why not one more, but completely understand what you are saying!

Those buggers! The second thing I was going to start hawking once I get my baby lathe up and running was a heat sink for Morrow hubs... now I'll look like a copy-cat. Grrr... :)

But I guess that's what 'competition on the open market' is all about lol.
I am assuming the Morrow would be a different size, so still plenty of room there to do your thing... I have seen other versions in the past, so I don't think they are the first, but they may be the first to openly market them...

Luke.

Yeah, while it certainly looks like quality, it has a rather heavy look to it. Dare I say, it's rather clunky looking? (yes, I went there)

I just reread this whole thread and had to laugh, while most folks are building downhill racers (Klunkers) I'll be building a hillclimber...
Anybody else not surprised? o_O

Carl.
Sounds about right for a Carl build!

Luke.

I'm tentatively in.

I've been thinking about turning my road-going mtb back into something off-roady.

But we'll see how likely that is when the time comes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back