MBBO #04! Voting time!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like the vote is to continue the two classes from last year, so guidelines will be as per last year too:

Pretty basic rules for this build-off.

Rule 1- Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 criteria to be considered a Muscle Bike:

1: Rear tire larger than the front. (wider or taller or both.)
2: Banana seat.
3: Ape hanger bars.

You can of course have all three.

This allows other styles with "attitude" to enter as well, for example: a dragbike may have the wheels and seat but maybe not the apes, a chopper might have the wheels and apes but maybe not the seat, I am sure you get the idea...

Rule 2- Entire build must be done between 1st September 2015 and 1st December 2015, you are expected to start a build thread and post progress pics as you go, please don't just build away and expect to jump in at the last second with a finished bike, you can enter at any time before the deadline, but the build must not be finished when you enter.

Rule 3- If your builds rideability is questionable, (don't laugh, mine often are!) please provide a riding picture or video, just to quell that question from those that like to cause trouble.

Rule 4- There will be two classes for voting:

Class 1: SuperStock/Mild Custom, only minor frame changes are allowed (tidying the top of a seat pole, removing a brake bridge, that kind of thing.) but anything that bolts on, including forks, can be modified as much as you want.

Class 2: Super Modified, no holds barred, do what you want as long as it is ridable.

-Please add "Class 1" or "Class 2" at the start of your build thread title to keep things clear.

Rule 5- Multiple entries from one builder are allowed, but they must have their own build threads and be entered for voting separately.

Guidelines:
Please don't start questioning whether someone's build is a "Muscle Bike", if it meets the rules, it is fine. :thumbsup:

Please keep comments light-hearted and positive, this is a fun build-off, if you start causing trouble you might just get removed... :comando:

Luke.

Edit: I just realised we ran a 4 month build last year, not a 3 month. Is everyone ok with the 3 month timetable as per every other build-off?

Luke.

3 month works better here in Ohio. Although I did manage to get some work done towards the end last year.

I've been trying to create a bunch of challenges to make mine take longer. Mine go quick once I get the itch and get some coffee in me.:43:....:21:

I'm def gonna stretch my thread out some more this time tho.

08/02/2015:
You can Count Me in.
More than likely in: CLASS-1.

I think I would use this front end for my MBBO4:)

Could these Bars pass for Ape Bars?

I need to decide if I want to use a 20" or 26" Frame for the Build...

Possible Muscle Bike Frame Candidate...? I like the Orange, Paint still in very good condition, Been sitting out in the backyard for over 3 plus years!

-Joey

Last edited:

Edit: I just realised we ran a 4 month build last year, not a 3 month. Is everyone ok with the 3 month timetable as per every other build-off?
September 1st to December 1st? The issue I have with that is the holidays. As you may remember I'm scrambling at the end. Christmas break allows me some pretty steady work time. If that's taken away, and we're shortened by a month I don't know if I'll have the time to do a complete build, especially with what I have planned (which I know isn't anyone else's concern.) If we do it like we did for MBBO#2 Oct. 1st - Jan 1st, that would be better.

Why did we change it for MBBO#3? Or was that a mistake we just rolled with? I'm honestly good with 4 months, but I know that's outside the RRB norm. I can do it in 3.

So I'm new here and may want to join in this action. Question. Can I do tear down and collecting just no build up?

So I'm new here and may want to join in this action. Question. Can I do tear down and collecting just no build up?
It's my understanding that you can buy and collect whatever you want,but can't do any work on any of the parts you'll be using.
I could be wrong and if I am Luke will let you know whenever it's morning in OZ.

It's my understanding that you can buy and collect whatever you want,but can't do any work on any of the parts you'll be using.
I could be wrong and if I am Luke will let you know whenever it's morning in OZ.
This is true, but I know that parts are worked on prior to the contest. I've done it because I've worked on parts, then added them to the build later, like I've rebuilt and polished brakes, then decided to use that brake set on a build.

But the spirit and intent of the build off is that you don't do ANY work until September 1st. You can start gathering parts and ideas, just don't work on them. Win or lose, it's about the fun and support the build off itself brings.

Teardown and collecting is fine, even a small amount of work on "parts" as Crash described I am fine with, within reason though!

As regards the 3 months or 4 months, I bumped it to 4 months last year as some builders really struggled getting parts back from chroming and the like in a reasonable time the year before, and some of the bikes that are getting restored are quite collectable, it would be a shame to rush any aspect of the build...

I am happy either way, 3 months is the usual time frame and allows a 1 month gap before the "Offroad" Build-off for resting, voting, and forum cleanup.

4 months will be better for those that have to wait on chrome plating and the like and allows extra time in the holiday period...

I am happy to let the builders decide, but we need to have the deadline locked down well before the build-off starts...

Let me know...

Luke.

Well I just learned something I didn't know.
As far as the time frame for me personally,it doesn't matter. I don't plan on a restoration. The only muscle bikes I have are an Eliminator that bent up and cut,and a dragstripper that might me to far gone to be saved.
But I understand 4 months to allow for plating, so props to you Luke for leaving it up to builders. We'll see how it goes.

I hate to wait to jump into the next build off, like we are now...
I hope for a 4 month build, even though I don't need the time.

Carl. :nerd:

Latest posts

Back