Elgin Causes Methane !

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had a totally lucky chance meeting with a gentleman at a local vintage bike show last weekend as we were both browsing at my late arriving friend's small but interesting offering of goodies. Neither the other gent or myself were vendors or exhibitors, but just happened to be in just the right place at the same time.
He mentioned that he had a bike in his basement that he was ready to sell since not getting after the intended project for the past 20 years. He told me what he had and I told him I'd buy it, right then and there. :thumbsup: I figure the time to buy any great bike is whenever you get the chance.
I committed and found the scratch, but will likely be eating a lot of beans for awhile. :eek::blush::giggle:
Today this Elgin Twin 40(?) left it's long term resting place on his basement wall and landed in my happy hands.
Of course the wheels are turning on which direction this build will go,but I take some time to decide.
Meantime I'll be looking into extending the steer tube just a bit, finding which headlights are required
(or options and mounting methods), any chance of a finding battery box and sourcing or making a rear stand fender clip.

Last edited:
Great score.
You are gonna have fun with this one. can't to see what you do with it.

Awesome twin!!! All sorts of elgins coming up on here latey.

Yeah Jarod, I've noticed the others too and have always admired them, but around here it's near impossible to find cool old U.S, bikes for some reason.
I live in a Canadian city if 5 million peeps, you'd figure there'd be a deeper resource.
I have a 20" Zep style ballooner that I think is an Elgin, but this is the first Big Boy Elgin I've been fortunate enough to acquire.
00N0N_jjf80uttWVl_600x450.jpg

Great score.You are gonna have fun with this one. can't to see what you do with it.

Oh, you bet I'm gonna have fun with this one KingFish! You bet I am! Thanks.
I'll be revisiting your VerBoten build thread frequently for reference to be sure.
I really liked the way your Twin looked at the stripped bare stage:39: (as well as in that super smooth Turqoise of course), but I have a couple bare metal bikes at the moment, so may just tend to the fork matter for now and just appreciate (or further accentuate that vintage house painted finish) for the time being.
BTW- I also just traded away my nice original Evansaction equipped Olympic for a new guitar as it was seeing limited use and been on the market a good while.
Also partially so that I wouldn't be tempted to transplant 'that fork' to another frame.

I'm still trying to downsize, streamline and upgrade my little collection and think a 5 bike bike stable would suit me just fine.
This Elgin will definitely be the new leader of my pack.:cool2:

Awesome twin!!! All sorts of elgins coming up on here latey.

Yeah Jarod, I've noticed the others too and have always admired them, but around here it's near impossible to find cool old U.S, bikes for some reason.
I live in a Canadian city if 5 million peeps, you'd figure there'd be a deeper resource.
I have a 20" Zep style ballooner that I think is an Elgin, but this Twin is the first Big Boy Elgin I've been fortunate enough to acquire.
00N0N_jjf80uttWVl_600x450.jpg

Great score.You are gonna have fun with this one. can't to see what you do with it.

Oh, you bet I'm gonna have fun with this one KingFish! You bet I am! Thanks, I am so stoked with this find.
I'll be revisiting your VerBoten build thread frequently for reference to be sure.
I really liked the way your Twin looked at the stripped bare stage:39: (as well as in that super smooth 2 toneTurquoise of course), but I have a couple bare metal bikes at the moment, so may just tend to the fork matter and service and ride then just appreciate (or further accentuate that vintage house painted finish) for the time being.
BTW- I also just traded away my nice original Evansaction equipped Olympic for a new guitar as it was seeing limited use and been on the market a good while.
Also partially so that I wouldn't be tempted to transplant 'that fork' to another frame.

I'm still trying to downsize, streamline and upgrade my little collection and think a 5 bike stable would suit me just fine.
This Elgin will definitely be the new leader of my pack.:cool2:

Aw man your evans action bike. I always liked that bike wish i knew you were selling it. Remember i bought the electra frame off you that you used the wheels for your Olympic. Very cool elgin! What else you selling? Shoot me a pm

Aw man your evans action bike. I always liked that bike wish i knew you were selling it. Remember i bought the electra frame off you that you used the wheels for your Olympic. Very cool elgin! What else you selling? Shoot me a pm

Hey Tyler Thanks, Sorry ya missed that one, PM Sent. It went to a local fella named Evans.
I posted some of my Craigslist ads and Trades thread on RRB forum a couple of times with one member expressing interest.
Maybe the 30o/o exchange rate may help with sales to the US members?:39:
I have a nice Thunder Jet with chrome tank and springer and Monark frame/fork tank combo from my winter build off bike as well as my CCM Rambler, 20" Elgin Ballooner.
You'll have first refusal on the bikes and sorry you missed the Evans, I remember you seem to have a thing for green bikes.;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back