Starting A Custom Murray Eliminator Build "Brain Storming"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My first eliminator is almost done and a bare frame came up on eBay so I bought it. Its a knock off, I think its a Sports Crest Qualifier. I compared the frame to mine and it seems like its the same 24x20 frame. So its kind of ridiculous to build 2 of the same bike, I want to do this one totally different. Heres a picture of it now, I threw some bars and S7 wheels on it just for the heck of it.
COLOR
Im between colors
First is keep the Murray paint style with a color in the middle and different colored ends im between Gold with black ends, or black with gold ends. Or White metal flake with black or gold ends.

OR We go solid color, either Metal Flake Green, Gold, Black, Or Red. I have a theme for each color combo.

DRIVE SETUP
Next I wanted to fit a 26 Inch rear wheel and 24 inch front, I tried a beach cruiser wheel in the rear but it doesn't fit. So It will be a 24x20 again. I was looking at the felt bikes online they have a 24 inch rear wheel with a monster tire on it. Has anyone ever tried one out? Im curious if it would fit. I wanted to put mags on it but I cant seem to find any 24s. Because I want it to be different the Shimano 333 is not an option. Im between a 5 speed FFS setup like on my Ross Apollo, a nexus hub, or just a standard 5 speed. Im in the process of buying an original Eliminator 5 Speed shifter that I intend to use. If its not already a friction shifter I Could always remove the little ball that gives you the detents.

Brakes
The only thing I dont like about my current Eliminator is the brakes, the just dont stop that great. So Im thinking DISC BRAKES on this one. Has anyone put them on a Muscle Bike? Whats involved?

The Fork
Most people have a springer fork, so Id like to go with a triple tree. Preferably with shocks, almost like a motor cycle fork with rubber bellows on the shocks.Also hopefully with a little rake to it like a chopper. Where can I find those?

SO those are my crazy Ideas, what do you guys think I should do?

I think you should keep brainstorming until Sept 1st and them jump into the Muscle Bike Build Off #4 with the rest of us... Drawing board is fine, collecting parts is fine, but no building until the 1st.

Carl.

I may, but I just gotta find a direction. Ive got too many thoughts going through my head at once. Since I wrote the post, I was thinking about having someone cut the frame and ad 3/4 of an inch in the rear for a 26 inch tire, and extend the middle of the bike an inch to get a little more room between the seat and handle bars.How long is the build off?

The build off really helps with ideas too. You talk out loud about ideas and people chime in with positives and negatives to help weigh the decisions, and sometimes add ideas you hadn't thought of. Even though it's a "competition" it's actually very collaborative.

The build off really helps with ideas too. You talk out loud about ideas and people chime in with positives and negatives to help weigh the decisions, and sometimes add ideas you hadn't thought of. Even though it's a "competition" it's actually very collaborative.
Crash reached out and helped me in my first build off. Good people here.

Carl.

Sounds like a cool project!

I think the fade idea for paint is great, always dig a cool fade. Check for CRASH's post on the Super Stock he is doing, the fade on that is awesome. That will settle it for you that a fade is the way to go.

For the shifter, yes, you can take the ball bearing out of the shifter and it will be a friction shifter.

For the brakes, a disc would be cool. Shimano made some disc brakes back in the day, guys have used them on muscle bikes before. You just need what I think would be termed a flip flop hub, threads on both sides. The disc plate threads on, and the brake mechanism attaches to the frame. You *may* have to weld on an anchor for the disc brake unit, or use brake straps, it needs to be anchored to the frame.

I think I will. So is brain storming before with you guys ok? Because I'd like to start planning. I'm kind of excited over the frame.
Planning and collecting parts is all good, just no building before the start date.

Luke.

That disc is so cool, Im going on eBay now. Unless someone has one???

Anyone know where to get a tripple tree with suspension? Something similar to what was on 70s motorcycles

Latest posts

Back