Schwinn bikes ( post pics here )

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the latest iteration; laced a 3-speed Sturmey-Archer SX-RK3 w/180mm disk, onto a 2007 Schwinn OCC Sting-Ray wheel, a front drum brake laced onto a steel 24” wheel w/24X3 Kenda Krusader, the reason for the two wheel replacement from the originals was due to the number of hub/wheel holes the original factory wheels had.

The Shimano Click-Stick 5-speed shifter had to be recalibrated in order for it to handle the S-A’s index measurements: the Click-Stick’s 3rd, 4th and 5th speeds were converted to 1st. 2nd and 3rd on the S-A, with 1st and 2nd locked-out on the Click-Stick. The seat stay was used to clamp down the shifter in order to keep from drilling into frame; not an option on this bike.

A muscle bike with a suicide shifter!

2006 Schwinn Manta-Ray 3-speed w/Shimano Click-Stick
2006%20manta%20ray%20%20%20%20%20%20%209-3-15_zpspb0l5kxt.jpg

2006%20manta%20ray%20017_zps9gxhqe2l.jpg

2006%20manta%20ray%20015_zps4gwmwwux.jpg

2006%20manta%20ray%20024_zpsmtxxeuuv.jpg

2006%20manta%20ray%20026_zps79fupvt1.jpg

Last edited:
Brief update: rerouted the Shimano Click-Stick shifter cable on order to reduce cable housing tension.

Schwinn%20Manta-Ray%209-10-15%20004_zpskqgarvv3.jpg

Schwinn%20Manta-Ray%209-10-15_zpsfrizlkvb.jpg

Last edited:
ZL,a man of detail!? You forgot to update
your chainguard graphics! Agh,how could
you lose track of your speeds? Now
will you paint over it,scRATch it off, redo
a spare guard,or what?...Stevil

ZL,a man of detail!? You forgot to update
your chainguard graphics! Agh,how could
you lose track of your speeds? Now
will you paint over it,scRATch it off, redo
a spare guard,or what?...Stevil

Good questions, Steve; I’m still trying to figure-out how to resolve that. I think scratching-out the 1 would be messy and leave permanent marks – I’m thinking of using a solvent, but which one? Assuming, of course, there is a solvent that’ll remove the 1 and allow for a 3 to be put in its place seamlessly; what complicates matters is the clear coat.

I’m open to suggestions.

Last edited:
cool. is that a worksman front drum?
Yes, it was laced onto a 24" hoop and put onto a Monarch repop springer; I've been told that it's similar in design to those used by Puch on their mopeds in the early 70's.

Last edited:
what gauge spokes did they use?
I'll have to ask the wrench that I commissioned to do the lacing; now that I'm pre-retired I have less time :confused: for some build aspects.

Added a new one to my fleet of Schwinn ballooners. '54 Leader, been trying to get this one from my cousin since he scooped it up in front of me at a swap meet last year. I told him it will be mine someday, well it took a year but she's home now! Plan is to fix what needs fixin, clean it up best it can and ride it.

Heres a '57 Schwinn Spitfire that I refurbished, only because whoever had it before sprayed the entire bike with a silver rattle can....so I carefully removed the rattle can paint..chrome underneath was decent,, except on the rims and stem, here and there...also serviced the whole bike when it was dismantled.....painted the frame Schwinn Green..and it rides like a dream......

00x0x_7y9vzdGX10J_600x450.jpg

00N0N_4AMFoYvhhRX_600x450.jpg

00404_aFHsWoRVP85_600x450.jpg

also have a '75 Varsity that's never been ridden....gotta get those pics somewhere I can link to tho.

franco

Latest posts

Back