Worksman Buyers Remorse

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I finally closed the deal on the mint cond PAV3 . My dream trike or at least I thought. Couldnt get home fast enough to head out for a ride. About 5 minutes into my ride my heart started sinking like a rock.

First this thing is super heavy like pedalling a bulldozer. Will not climb even the slightest grade. Gearing sucks. The tiller steering makes about as much sense as windshield wipers on a goats butt. After a 1/2 mile I was wore out and gave up. Came home and listed on CL. This bike may work on very flat surfaces but its definitly not for me. I would hate to have ordered this at nearly 1500.00 and find out what I did tonite. Looks dont mean a thing.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I am asking 500 for it. Sure is nice looks brand new. Still has some nubs on the tires.Came loaded with losts of options like mirrors, cable lock, canopy top etc. Sure is a shame I cant use it. Would be great on extremely flat surfaces. I sold a nice porto tryke to get up the cash for the PAV. Wish I had the porto back.

Worksman trykes dont ride good. The little porto are nice but their seats are terrible. Hard as bricks. The trouble with the PAV is weight plus you have to use your leg muscles pushing against the seat back. It wears you out quick. With a normal trike you sit on top and can utilize your body weight on the crank. I did do a quick test ride before buying but was on a flat city street. Boy did I get a rude awakening. I tried to reasearch the pav before buying but was little info. Maybe because they are so expensive nobody can afford one.

I had a PAV did alot of changes to make it comfortable. I know what your saying your always pushing on the back of the seat and when you crank down hard it wants to shoot to the left. Mine was a resto I did saved it from being scrapped completely painted. I ended up selling to a guy which put a motor on it for his son to ride to school.

I guess this just combines the problems one gets with a recumbent (poor pedaling leverage, unusual steering) with the problems one gets with a Worksman (super heavy) and the problems one gets with a delta trike (even heavier, bad handling characteristics)... Couldn't be happier with INBs/ M2600s/ INGs...yeah, they're heavy and the paint sucks, but they ride nice and build-up nicely. And one of the guys on my team palps a portotrike; it's got all the usual delta trike issues, plus it's heavy.... but it's been reliable and it folds up, which is a massive advantage when you're talking about trikes and S.O. events.

Here's the thing with Worksman bikes....they are designed and built for "works men". They are industrial tools for transportation at large foot print factories. Their bikes are rock solid and make decent cruisers if you can find one cheap. On the other hand, even though there are models targeting recreational owners, their trikes are essentially designed to haul parts and tools across long flat factory floors. They beat walking with 250 lbs of tools, but they are not, were not, and probably won't ever be ideal for use as pleasure vehicles in anything other than perfect conditions. :shake:
Gotta agree. That is a utility vehicle. And the trike I have is a Cignal Village Velo that I got when the Alcoa plant behind the brewery moved to Canada. It's heavy, not a racer at all. But with normal geometry it's not at all a bad ride.
This thing doesn't even look practical for a factory floor. The rear deck looks too small for any kind of real cargo hauling for one thing, and what's with the tiller steering?
It's like they took the worst parts of a trike and a recumbent to create a singularity of suck.

With all that said. One of my neighbors is a disabled lady who uses one of these to exercise. Her route is about a 3 mile loop as far as I can tell. And it's not flat. She's ain't breaking any speed records either though

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

s-l1600.jpg

Website shows you can get an optional 32 or 28t front sprocket. 36 is standard like mine.First gear now is so low you crank yur butt off and barely move.Second is too high. All in all a very poor concept.

Website shows you can get an optional 32 or 28t front sprocket. 36 is standard like mine.First gear now is so low you crank yur butt off and barely move.Second is too high. All in all a very poor concept.

What rear sprocket are you running? FWIW, the gearing you describe is highly unlikely. A Nexus is a Nexus; the steps between the planets are the same whether it's in a Worksman or one of their competitors. For it to be that low in first and that high in 2nd is mathematically impossible, b/c if the hub is tuned right, it's less than a 37% jump in gearing between the two.

808 this bike is super heavy.The seating/pedal arrangement is horrible. You basically pedal with your knees so yes there is a huge difference between gears. You cant get the needed weight or leg leverage to propel the bike. Its almost too heavy to push. No amout of gear changes can compensate for the weight. Besides its really not fun to ride in the first place. If I had to commute around a plant on it I would rather walk.

Boy is the old gal gonna be suprised. Better have legs like the bionic woman.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back