(Class 1 MBBO#4) Cycledelic - seat fabric lol

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think they look cool. Wrapped right, they'll really make the bike!
yep, before my old computer crashed I had a site saved that had some nos Benotto wrap in blue green black. I've been searching but I can't find the place now... That's what I want but we'll see. I may end up with classic translucent yellow, that's muscle bike anywhere you go.

Carl.

Hey what do you guys use for the adhesive when recovering a single pan seat? I've got two to do, one a double pan, so it's no problem, but the single pan polo going on this one is another first for me...

Carl.

I've used an auto upholstery spray glue you get at auto supply stores,it works well.

I tried some spray on gasket adhesive once,it worked but it stays tacky and stringy and makes a mess. Have to be careful using it.

I've used an auto upholstery spray glue you get at auto supply stores,it works well.

I tried some spray on gasket adhesive once,it worked but it stays tacky and stringy and makes a mess. Have to be careful using it.
Thanks, I've got an O'Reilly's across the street...woohoo.

Carl.

3M spray adhesive. The high strength will hold like crazy. Should be able to find it at Home Depot, Lowes, Ace Hardware, all former clients of my wife's....

If doing an edge, I use a clear tacky fabric glue. If laying down and gluing onto another surface then I will use the spray adhesive. Problems with that include accidentally folding it and ruining a piece while laying it down, or not planning the squaring marks right and getting a bubble or curl. I am clutzy sooo.

Most times I will use a brush on adhesive cement and glue it down a few inches at a time rather than a full cover.

Building... riding...

An Ai

Auto parts store, across the street.:cool2:
all I have, across the street :
pizza place \ ice cream.:grin:
All I have across the street is a paddock and some cows...

Luke.

Well there it is my polo seat, waiting to be covered... which depends on the paint, which depends on the wrap I find. I have a color scheme in mind if I can find the wrap I want. I'm also looking around for a sissy, I think I've got the angle parallel to the seat post, just gotta find one with 24" between seat and axle holes... all good...

Carl.

Finally got the cable I need to match up to my bell crank. Now I need to fab up something to hold the cable sleeve end. The bike I salvaged the hub from had nothing there... must have :eek: fell off! I've never had a bike with a 3 speed hub before so I have no knowledge here, I can guess what I need to fab but... any ideas would be awesome.

Carl.

45bdf1443310abac93e0815577d1a36c.jpg

I didn't have a 5/8" cable stop for In-Violet, so I made one from a 1" one. I ruined one 1" cheepie clamp that broke, but a vintage one held up.

Also shown is the adapter some people get if the can't figure out how to terminate a cable. I use a teeenie roll pin that the cable barely fits down, and crimp it down with a lotta umpf.

Building... riding...

Yeah... I knew I'd have to do something like that. I've been Google imaging... The cable pack has a threaded fitting I don't need, big enough for the cable to rest in, similar to the rim brake cable end fitting that threads into the arm, but bigger. Some of the images I found show an L shaped bracket that axle mounts. I may be able to fab a bracket...
IMG_2828.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
Looking more at your frame, you could use a cable stop on the top part of your seat stay, and where it turns down, put one of the sturmey roll wheels on with a small clamp, then to the hub, this old roadie has a longer run cable with a wheel.
aae2d59d1c3d07c220b36333ee16bb20.jpg

Cable stop near head tube, to wheel to change angle, to hub.

Building... riding...

Last edited:
Looking more at your frame, you could use a cable stop on the top part of your seat stay, and where it turns down, put one of the sturmey roll wheels on with a small clamp, then to the hub, this old roadie has a longer run cable with a wheel. Cable stop near head tube, to wheel to change angle, to hub....

Building... riding...

You'd probably have to use it on that rearmost vertical tube. Would work ok if you gently arc the cable back to it. Or you could put it farther up the horizontal portion of that tube and have a pulley at the corner.

I've been looking at alternate routing since the frame isn't exactly standard... I do like the pulleys and that fitting from niagra... I added a pic to the earlier post showing the bracket I'm thinking about... itching to start fabbing the shifter I have coming... it's not made for a twin tube frame either, haha.

Carl.

I jumped down the Google rabbit hole and found an electric bike driving a 3 speed hub!

I like that fitting from Niagara as well, if this one I made gives me one issue, I know what I will replace it with.

Hmm an electric three speed would be fun.

Building... riding...

When you get a new Sturmey hub it comes with that bracket/arm deal and the stop. Either way works. Bracket deal might be good for that frame. Or you could also drill and tap that rectangular frame deal for a stop like this.

2320-6840-full-cable_stops-32.jpg

You can get these that are flat on the back. You'll also need a longer screw for the drill/tap mount.

Quick tip for the cable adjust. Put the shifter in 3rd (and make sure the hub is engaged into 3rd). When it's in 3rd there should be just a tiny bit of slack in the cable. This was what worked best for me to get my Sturmey set up. 3 speed is perfect for doing the suicide shift especially since you can shift while coasting.

Latest posts

Back