Spoke question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
does anyone know the length of spokes needed for a 26 in. Drop center rim with a new departure medel d hub? It's from a 35 Hawthorne and half the spokes are unusable. Also rim is pretty rusty, thinking about a Oxalic acid soak, hardly any chrome left so can't really do any more damage. Any advice is surely appreciated.

does anyone know the length of spokes needed for a 26 in. Drop center rim with a new departure medel d hub? It's from a 35 Hawthorne and half the spokes are unusable. Also rim is pretty rusty, thinking about a Oxalic acid soak, hardly any chrome left so can't really do any more damage. Any advice is surely appreciated.
I feel like that is what keeps me from building my first wheel, how do you figure out what spokes and nipples you need? :39:

My nipples are fine, that sounds weird, but about 10 of my spokes are trashed but I saved all the nipples. Don't want to waste money on wrong length spokes.

Yeah, plus one.... take one of the intact spokes and measure it... and then make sure you lace up the new ones using the same pattern.

I measured them, but didn't realize there was as many similar sizes. I think I need 10 5/8, but there's also 10 19/32, 10 7/16, and a some in hundreds of mm.

Measure it in mm will make it easier.

You measure from the outside of the bend on the inner end to the end of the spoke, they will probably be 266mm at a guess, that size seem really common...

Luke.

I think you're looking for something closer to 270mm, provided your measurement of 10 5/8" is an accurate one. I just read that off my Park Tool spoke scale/ruler. Matching width is another consideration, but 2mm/14 gauge is almost a certainty.

What about if you are changing hoops on a hub? is there a chart available to calculate spoke length?

That 53 indian roadie I did, got new spokes, old ones were rusted nearly thru. Those Dunlop wheels were Rear 40 spoke was a 4 cross, cross laced, front was a 32, 3 cross.

Building... riding...

10 5/8" is what you need if you have standard length nipples. Schwinn used 10 19/32" with the longer nipples. Gary

Latest posts

Back