Which straight rigid 29" fork is best?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am converting a Schwinn Low Glide into a klunker. Only thing to decide is the 29" rigid front fork, preferably straight. Have some ideas?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC One met Tapatalk

How rude of not introducing myself. I love building stuff. Just sold my Gazelle Champion Mondial, which was built into a fixie. Also just finished building an RV90 Suzuki, Japanese style

So, my new winterproject is this new Schwinn Low Glide. Yes it is a Walmart bike, but I want to rebuild it into an old klunker, time correct, but with new skool elements

Quick question--- what kind of front brake do you intend to run? B/c if you're going with a hub brake, you would likely be best served by a suspension-corrected 26" fork....

Have not decided yet. Either hub or rim brake. What does a 26" suspension corrected fork mean?

I was thinking landing gear, as well of course, but I am looking into alternatives

If you're running no front brake, or a front disc hub, you could get something like a Surly Instigator fork, or a cool segmented fork, like the On-One chromoly jawn...these are designed as suspension-corrected 26" forks, but they have enough room to run 29" wheels, without changing the axle-to-crown too much, so your geometry (head angle, etc) will not change much.

You could run a 29" SE Landing Gear, but then you'd be going brakeless up front, or possibly running a 1080-style single pivot caliper brake, which is not gonna give you much stopping power if you're actually klunking.... You could run a 29er fork with provisions for rim brakes (eg, Surly Ogre fork), but these are suspension-corrected for 29" wheels, which will give you more axle-tocrown, for a slacker head angle, etc (which is maybe what you want?)....

I'm just not sure what your plans are, so advice is tough. If you just want it to look hott, you'd do well with the Landing Gear, and you could run a drum hub up front or just run the rear-brake only. If you want a strong, well-designed fork that's meant to take a beating, you could run the Instigator with a front disc, which'd probably be the most offroad-worthy set up. OF course, these are just my opinions; there are plenty of options, depending on the look you're going for, the components you wanna run, the materials you prefer (eg, you could go carbon if you'd like-- but personally, i wouldn't even consider it), and the style of riding you actually intend to do.

If you're running no front brake, or a front disc hub, you could get something like a Surly Instigator fork, or a cool segmented fork, like the On-One chromoly jawn...these are designed as suspension-corrected 26" forks, but they have enough room to run 29" wheels, without changing the axle-to-crown too much, so your geometry (head angle, etc) will not change much.

You could run a 29" SE Landing Gear, but then you'd be going brakeless up front, or possibly running a 1080-style single pivot caliper brake, which is not gonna give you much stopping power if you're actually klunking.... You could run a 29er fork with provisions for rim brakes (eg, Surly Ogre fork), but these are suspension-corrected for 29" wheels, which will give you more axle-tocrown, for a slacker head angle, etc (which is maybe what you want?)....

I'm just not sure what your plans are, so advice is tough. If you just want it to look hott, you'd do well with the Landing Gear, and you could run a drum hub up front or just run the rear-brake only. If you want a strong, well-designed fork that's meant to take a beating, you could run the Instigator with a front disc, which'd probably be the most offroad-worthy set up. OF course, these are just my opinions; there are plenty of options, depending on the look you're going for, the components you wanna run, the materials you prefer (eg, you could go carbon if you'd like-- but personally, i wouldn't even consider it), and the style of riding you actually intend to do.
Thanks for the explanation! Very thorough. Good options to consider. Now I only need to find dealers in the Netherlands, or just go for eBay. Can't wait to get started. Will send updates as soon as I start the build. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back