(MBBO#04 Class 2) PEDRO. (PEDRO GOT A NEW OWNER!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. The holographic flake on black base takes me back to my boyhood days in Salinas. Soooooooo many cars done that way back then. Good stuff!
You shooting flake dry or in an intercoat? Sorry, I've just been skimming and not reading anything yet....
Thanks for the props! Glad I am hitting my style mark!

I bought a DNA dry flake gun, from what I had read it seemed like the easier option for a first time user, but now I want to try the old way too... ;)

Luke.

Can't wait to see this back together with the paint. Cool thing to me is how it looks kind of neutral and earthy until the light hits it just right and brings it to life.

Cool thing to me is how it looks kind of neutral and earthy until the light hits it just right and brings it to life.
Yes! that is the perfect way to describe it! :thumbsup:

I managed to time a gap in the wind this afternoon to finish off the paint!

I have to admit, after the wet sand sessions it looked very dull, I actually thought I had taken it too far and maybe scuffed the flake itself, that was how dull it was!

I didn't need to worry, the final 4 coats of clear brought it back to life and gave it more brilliance than ever!

No sun at all today, but managed to get these shots using the flash:

22814858483_d7d0cb5e11_z.jpg

23359476861_ae1b081a90_z.jpg

23442006695_ae5f963675_z.jpg

And without the flash:

23146206760_6871e58e73_z.jpg

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

For the record:

2 coats black base,
Intercoat,
Flake,
5 coats clear,
wet-sand: 2 sessions,
4 more clear coats...

:eek:

A lot of work, but I really enjoyed it!

Luke.

Had to get a new night time video, this paint is even more nuts now with the sanding and final clears on! (You might need to full screen the video at 1080p to get the full effect.)

Luke.

Sparkly ! Bolt er' together and let's see how she looks with the parts in place! December is here......coming down to the wire guys.....watching the Finished Bikes thread....

Sparkly ! Bolt er' together and let's see how she looks with the parts in place! December is here......coming down to the wire guys.....watching the Finished Bikes thread....
Should not be long now! I may even end up the first Class 2 in if the other guys don't get a hurry on!

Luke.

Whoa :43::13:

Final assembly started!

First off some pics in the sun:

23092793849_2fd012c8c7_z.jpg

23434635026_d8eef44a1d_z.jpg

Running the leads for the tail lights behind the seat:

23164366730_61b1c0c20a_z.jpg

Fitting the lights for hopefully the final time, it is quite fiddly to fit it all as the seat mounting bolts are inside the light housings, but the light leads must be in place before the seat it bolted in, so there is a coil of lead inside the housings to allow for the lights to be fitted after, but it is a fiddly job!

23434013866_0785052b22_z.jpg

Test run:

23164370720_74eb51d247_z.jpg

Positioned the extra fabric under the seat base, temporarily held it in place while bolting it down with some 'Clag" water based glue... You know, the stuff you used to eat in kindergarten... (Or was that just me?)

23377657611_5b4d2716dd_z.jpg

Seat base bolted in place:

22831829644_6fed4c155d_z.jpg

That will do for the day, want to give the paint another day before fitting bearing cups and the like.

Stay tuned!

Luke.

Yeah, we just call it school paste. Elmer's makes it, but it's not the same as Glue-All. The stuff most use now is more like sticky chapstick. Guess there were too many paste-eaters.

Bike looks real good, I'm trying to imagine to look on face of the person who stumbles across this thing in 80 years.

I admit it, I was a paste eater too. The manufacturer had to know kids would eat it, why else would it be mint flavored?

Latest posts

Back