Best classic-looking saddle for <$75?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
However much you weigh, it's seriously ridiculous if the hardware on your new saddle has mismatched threads, but they've been forced together anyway. That's just bad business.

Perhaps my seat was a little better because it is older, about 4 years. I was impressed with the thickness of the leather and the hardware. The leather has some uneven color but the thickness was uniform and there were no blemishes in the leather. My sweat stains have made the uneven color even. This saddle is as good as the numerous Brooks saddles that I bought in the late 60s. The Brooks saddles I have seen at the LBS are better than the ones I used to buy back then. England was having a lot of problems competing with the Japanese back then, it was shutting down their car, motorcycle and bicycle industry so perhaps they made cheaper products to try and compete. Road bikes back then started coming with plastic saddles and I replaced them with Brooks. Anyway, my China seat is fine, but after listening to this discussion I won't get another.

Last edited:
Paid $50.00 for a 1947 Roadmaster that had this B72 on it......paid $45 for a second one and am waiting for it arrive in the mail hopefully today. You can certainly lyrics first day them!

20151224_154828.jpg

Now that's sharp, BARTO. Would like to find a vintage B72 or similar in that kind of shape. Bought a '56 Racer about a year ago with a Lycett (Brooks) 166 atop it of a similar age, but proved too fragile. Replaced it and now keep it save for preservation.

My use is primarily on (paved) rail-trails and college campuses. In regards to Brooks, a dark (and used - no way I can afford a new one) C17 cambium might be my best bet - though not leather, it may hold up better in weather (and require less maintenance overall).

Still excited about the prospect of a Lepper or Gyes (once the site is back up) if the right one pops up.

Velo Orange has some nice sub-Brooks quality saddles- prices are not that much less, but I have heard good things about them:
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/saddles.html
Rideable Bicycle Replicas has some super cheap saddles that look good- I have used parts from them but never ridden an entire saddle:
http://highwheel.com/parts/index.htm

These V-O saddles are made by Gyes; they are essentially the same saddles as Gyes, but with nicer hardware than some, and a higher price...

Now that's sharp, BARTO. Would like to find a vintage B72 or similar in that kind of shape. Bought a '56 Racer about a year ago with a Lycett (Brooks) 166 atop it of a similar age, but proved too fragile. Replaced it and now keep it save for preservation.

My use is primarily on (paved) rail-trails and college campuses. In regards to Brooks, a dark (and used - no way I can afford a new one) C17 cambium might be my best bet - though not leather, it may hold up better in weather (and require less maintenance overall).

Still excited about the prospect of a Lepper or Gyes (once the site is back up) if the right one pops up.
They come up, just takes patience and a willingness to negotiate.

V-O does seem a bit out of my range; a $45 micro-fiber saddle sounds really nice, but I'm not certain I could count on it to hold up in the weather. Anybody have any experience in that arena?

I may be showing my ignorance, but I've never come across RBR before. Seems like a respectable, American company with decently-priced products. Not certain I'd want to go with the "Victor" style saddle - though I see the attraction to it, given its appearance to turn-of-the-century saddles.

Considering what $340.00 can get your elsewhere (Wally World, Target, etc.), that replica's a steal. Really sharp.

Just ordered two Gyes gs15 saddles, found an on-line clearance while just browsing an Australian custom bike builders store. These are ones that come without the 'Gyes' branding on the side. Getting one brown and one black...

24077595665_082f543d99_z.jpg

Unbranded:

24077716125_ace8718a1c_z.jpg
24051636326_086837bf87_z.jpg

Total cost for both together was $79 Australian including delivery, that comes in under the original posters budget of $75US...

Luke.

Just ordered two Gyes gs15 saddles, found an on-line clearance while just browsing an Australian custom bike builders store. These are ones that come without the 'Gyes' branding on the side. Getting one brown and one black...

Unbranded:

Total cost for both together was $79 Australian including delivery, that comes in under the original posters budget of $75US...

Luke.
Brown one looks really nice, awesome experience price

Brown one looks really nice, awesome experience price
Yeah, really stocked at the price, to be honest I had no idea what they normally cost, but was considering getting one anyway, then I looked up what they normally go for, which is about double... Simple decision in the end! :thumbsup:

Luke.

Unbranded:

Luke.

The Brown one looks quite a bit like my B72...nice

Just got an email, brown out of stock! :(
Decided to just get two black ones rather than worry about refunds and the like, will let you know what I think when they arrive.

Luke.

My two black seats just arrived!

Both came in nice little drawstring bags with extra laces, an adjustment spanner and a hex key, and care instructions.

24305357005_c6b95358fc_z.jpg

23678526423_6219c81f6e_z.jpg

I have never had a Brooks saddle so I cant compare, but I do see some areas that could look a little nicer finished and that may be the difference...

I am surprised by just how hard the saddles are, I know they break in but they feel like a rigid plastic at the moment, the instructions say 500-700 kilometres to break in, that is a considerable distance, so I guess it is understandable. Once they are broken in, I understand they are awesome...

Bottom line? Very glad I got them, great value and perfect for the bikes I have in mind, as for comfort I can't say yet, but I am pretty sure they would not be for everyone, if you want a comfortable padded saddle out of the box, this isn't the place to look, maybe the sprung ones would be a better place to start...

Luke.

I always wondered about them. They look good. I have one brooks I bought new and that thing was anything but comfortable when new. After just a couple decent rides I noticed a difference. I wouldn't call it broken in yet but its pretty nice. I'll buy another.

Latest posts

Back