ELGIN DECOLUXE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice match with the stem and grips. That is a good one word description of a TRM build...'continuity'. The parts may have different origins, uses, intents; but when you put them all together they just work. It just looks right. :thumbsup:

Thanks OJ.
Speaking of parts with different origins, here's the drop stand holder that started life as BBQ tongs. After testing it, I believe that it's just stiff enough to hold the stand just fine!
Drop Stand holder.jpg

That's one of my favorite things about RRB. Seeing what people do with everyday items.

Back almost three weeks ago, @gowjobs guessed that my stepped down rear fender would get covered with skirt guards. He was right.

I've had this mismatched Colorflow set hanging around my shop for years. I've tried them on countless bikes but never found the right fit until the Elgin Decoluxe stepped up!
101_1099.jpg

I don't think the mesh grill will make the cut, but I left in there for now.

Back almost three weeks ago, @gowjobs guessed that my stepped down rear fender would get covered with skirt guards. He was right.

I've had this mismatched Colorflow set hanging around my shop for years. I've tried them on countless bikes but never found the right fit until the Elgin Decoluxe stepped up!
View attachment 24962

I don't think the mesh grill will make the cut, but I left in there for now.

Mesh would look awesome

The mesh looks good on those by themselves. How bout on the bike?

Thanks OJ.
Speaking of parts with different origins, here's the drop stand holder that started life as BBQ tongs. After testing it, I believe that it's just stiff enough to hold the stand just fine!
View attachment 24947
I was wondering what you'll come up with .. Very sleek hidden support :113:
if it ever does not hold well, yould be like : :cool2:
e3eb60dc163503ee447107dd32b73cef.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the input everyone. I'm still not so sure about the mesh. Maybe if it's painted black it would work or possibly something other than the honeycomb pattern. We'll see.

Ok, so the reason that I revealed the skirt guards yesterday is because its finally time to mount the tank! I've been postponing the tank until the glass shop could catch up with inventory. I try to keep several on hand so that I can ship quickly when I get orders. I'm not complaining, but within two weeks of starting the build off I sold five sets and wiped out my stock. Anyway, I now have more on the shelf and I'm ready to go!

You may be wondering what the skirt guards have to do with mounting the tank. The reason is the lines. Consistent lines are very important to me when I build my bikes. I'm not afraid to pull out the laser level if necessary!:chicken: :bigsmile: The skirt guards have very straight lines in them that I want to carry over to the tank.

First I used a level on the guards and then I marked the centerline on the light bullets with masking tape to be able to level the tank more accurately.

Here's the tank propped up in place...

Tank lining up.jpg

Now it's time to make some fiberglass dust!:banana:

Last edited:
Glad the tanks are selling well! Getting the lines to . . . uh, line up from all angles can be tough. I find I have to look at things from different angles and heights to make sure things work.

I love the skirts and I like the idea of the mesh, but it's not working for me here. Black or dark gray paint may do it, or maybe if it were a tighter mesh or something woven like a Bentley's grille (I've been looking for the latter at a reasonable price for a while)?

That stand really flows into everything!

Looking good man that fender is sweet . The color flow skirts fit well the mess looks ok to me but just have to see how it work out when you get the rest of the bike together. Hate to pull them to soon . They may add to the deco look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually like the honeycomb mesh. Reminds me of the panels on my grandma's hot water radiator that was in her front room. And that was from the Art Deco period....

The tank! It really flows nice into the seat stays on this bike. Skirt looks cool. Would be interesting to see it sans mesh. The grill might look cool open. Looks good with the mesh tho.

Thanks guys, it's pretty easy to either keep the mesh or not, so I'll wait and see how it looks as the rest of the bike comes together.

Back to the tank. I finished the process of cutting out the openings for the frame. I have posted the steps a few times before during previous TRM Convertible builds so I'm not going to bore everyone with it again here. However, if you are interested to see the process I will be posting the steps over the next few days for people to see on my TRM facebook page HERE.

In the final fit the end of the tank wound up being about 1/4" short of the seat tube. This is the first frame that I've encountered this particular challenge but I have a plan! I will be showing how I plan to deal with the trailing end of the tank tomorrow.

Here's a quick look at the starting point for mounting.
101_1054.JPG

....." I finished the process of cutting out the openings for the frame. I have posted the steps a few times before during previous TRM Convertible builds so I'm not going to BORE everyone with it again here." hahaha! :21:

Ren Man, you've got a future as a punster extraordinaire!

Latest posts

Back