Rat Rod aesthetic question

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rat Rod aesthetic question. I am new to rat rod bike builds and I have a question as to how far to take a build. I just purchased a bike that is has a nice patina. But will I take away the aesthetic by mixing it up with newer parts like a new seat, wheels, crank, etc. I do not believe the bike has any collector value to keep stock. However, whenever I show the bike to friends the comment I often hear is just leave it alone, but that takes out the enjoyment of a build. Any thoughts?
IMG_1008.JPG

You have a late 50's/early 60's AMF bike there, the kind that has the seat stem tighten like a handlebar stem, and you have the coveted star sprocket, only made until mid 60's. Everyone wants one of those sprockets. You are lucky that the chain guard and tank look good too. A good start for a build. Your forks have a very slight backward bend, but that's an easy fix.
Anything you do with it is good, as long as you approve. Fresh glossy paint, chopper forks, apes? Banana seat, springer forks, 3 or 8 speed Nexus? Colored tires? If you have access to a shop, you could cut it up and stretch it. Anything goes as long as it suits you.

Latest posts

Back