The Morgal Flyer! Aka DrHax's Steampunk Firestone Motorbike ( Front welded up.)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I have some choices to make.. I originally wanted to have this build run some very nice fenders and skirts.. Classy nice and won't throw my soviet overcoatwith me against the pavement screaming... but due to FEDEX that doesn't seem it's going to be an option!:mad:
No i'm not bitter or a bit salty. I'm a cup of black tea that looks like oil using water from the ocean.:headbang:

Anyways my internal burning rage aside!:confused:

I noticed with one of the mock up photos. How the wheel is laid out.
IMG_0256.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG

See the difference between the first image and the second? Notice how much of the looks changes. I am debating on seeing about finding a way to hang out that front end like that.:39:

I'm sure you can do that, it looks like you can weld some drops on the front of the fork tubes.

Disassemble the forks first, a rebuild won't hurt anyway. Then make a pair of dropouts that are strong enough and weld em on.

That welding frenzy had me hanging on to my desk chair! Most of the time during these builds, I have found myself doing the 'dirty work' while contemplating, or waiting on, the 'pretty parts'. Oftentimes, like with your front wheel inspiration, new ideas are spawned when our hands are the dirtiest......

Well since I can't see my fiancee I decided it was best to go work on the bike. I was having a heck of a time figuring out what to make the front drop outs out of. I don't have any good steel lying around. How the heck will I find a piece of metal to attach a front wheel to a bicycle!:confused:

Wait... attach a wheel to a bicycle.:39:
Rear stays! :eek:
IMG_0295.JPG
IT WILL WORK!:dance2:
IMG_0303.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

After firing up the 1972 lincoln death-o-matic I ended up with this!
And it looks like this!
IMG_0297.JPG
And this
IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0307.JPG

Decided to mock up the handlebar grips
.IMG_0309.JPG IMG_0310.JPG
What do you guys think? :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0297.JPG
    IMG_0297.JPG
    477.7 KB · Views: 262
I hope that holds up, I was thinking of using old door hinge plates for Springer rockers. Maybe something like that would be good for drop outs.

It's not the welds that would worry me so much, there is not much material stopping the slot from stretching apart. Also if you hit a big bump the wheel could move back in the slots making the issue worse.

It may be fine, but it would be worth keeping an eye on... ;)

Luke.

It's not the welds that would worry me so much, there is not much material stopping the slot from stretching apart. Also if you hit a big bump the wheel could move back in the slots making the issue worse.

It may be fine, but it would be worth keeping an eye on... ;)

Luke.
Be an easy fix to just eliminate that issue. I found my bundle of TIG rods so I'm good to go!

Funnily enough a biker friend of mine needs a part welded up for his bike. I feel this welder wasn't used by a chopper guy it is the source of it all.:eek:

Eh I can live with this:thumbsup:

No progress update on the bike today.:20: Worked my butt off at work today.I find it funny how I go to work welding and look forward on my days off to weld....:crazy:
What does that say about me?:39:

Anyways I do have a question. What is the fuel line size for this style of common chinese motorized bicycle carb? Surely somebody must know!

Last edited:
I cannot tell a lie.
I don't know the size of fuel line you need, maybe take the carb in to match it up?

1/4th that's what I want to hear. Because then I could get some brass braided fuel line.

My brain has been thinking of ways to solve the fuel delivery problem I am convinced is going to be an issue with this tank. Simply put, the original tank was designed to be mounted at a 45 degree angle give or take. I am mounting it flat So with its upside U shape and with its original exit port is that means if I were to use it there'd be fuel trapped on the right side of the tank as wells as a tiny bit left at the bottom of the left side Since theres no way for the fuel to physically flow through a wall, and I highly doubt the vacuum force of a chinese 2 stroke carb on a briggs motor would be enough to pressurize the whole tank enough to get the fuel into there.

So my plan would be to weld on some threaded bungs to each of the bottom sides. have fuel line going to a three way connector then feed it the carb.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it.

Also while I am welding up the tank I am really debating on if I should pick up a weld in bung gas cap. I think you guys can figure out what material it's going to be made out of.:crazy:

When I got that tank my intention was to put in a flush mount cap, I thought it would be streamlined to fit a cafe style build.
Looking forward to what you do with it.

Good news the seller of the parts that fedex lost will be issuing me a refund. I just hope they honour his claim!

Nothing done today on the bike. We cleaned up our pile barn (my name for our pole barn) so I got space to work now on it. I also welded up an old garden hose holder to the side of it to wrap the cables around.

Latest posts

Back