Shock Ease Fork HELP!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi guys, I've got an old shock-ease fork that I'm trying to put on a build of mine. Apparently the previous owner didn't like the way it worked because it's been brazed all around making it a rigid fork. I've been working on it for a few days trying to get it working properly again but I can't seem to find any close-up shots of how it works and I've been grinding away on the old bronze and still haven't gotten it loose. I just want to make sure I'm grinding away what I'm suppossed to. If any of you have experience with these forks and wouldn't mind explaining them to me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Here's the fork before I removed most of the braze:
DSC02017_zps101d2949.jpg

DSC02047_zps2e8778c4.jpg

DSC02045_zpsc43b7286.jpg

Because of the way it was brazed I was under the impression that the forks came apart at point B but I've ground down all the way and I don't see where there's a separation so this leads me to believe that the forks come apart at point A. :? HELP PLEASE!!
DSC02050_zps4ad973b7.jpg

I know the bottom pivots on the threaded bolt but the back splits somewhere when you hit a bump, is it point A or B or???

Also when I flip the forks upside down there was alot of braze on the bottom and I even found two spots where there's a weld(see red arrows). What needs to be ground away so the forks work?
DSC02051_zps45dfe05a.jpg

I know that's alot but I'd really like to get these old forks working again. Thanks for any help and if you have close-up pics of your forks that would be a BIG help. Thanks!

Thanks guys! Last night after I posted this I ran across a pic of someone's forks taken apart and it explained alot to me. It's not my pic, it's from member necessaryevil but it showed me how they come apart. Here's the pic:
IMG_26361_zps09c4de8b.jpg

I picked up one of these forks any tips on prepping them before installing?

Gonna bump this for good reference reasons

What a butcher job by the guy who welded it! Man oh man. The spring probably broke, and he welded it all together instead of buying a new spring to repair it. It's gonna take some work to cut through the weld/braze, then build it back up to what it was supposed to look like. You will then need a new rubber bumper, spring, and bolt, which can be sourced on ebay. Lotsa work..

Last edited:
I understand this thread is from March, but if you haven't gotten it apart yet, hit the brass with a torch(neutral flame) until it starts to become liquid then blow it out with compressed air(blow gun with compressor). Thats the fastest way to get the brazing out and will do a better job than grinding it off(won't thin the steel like grinding).

Latest posts

Back