Need crank suggestions please !!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Guys,

I’m looking for help and ANY suggestions coming my way would be appreciated !!!!

I’m looking for polished or chrome 3 pc cranks for my Electra (not a rat, I know) that might have a bit of a “dog leg” to them ?

Long story short, I’ve got a vintage chain guard fitted to this bike and would feel a bit more comfortable with a bit more space if it is possible.

Are most 3 pc or BMX style cranksets this straight and tight (chainguard clearance-wise) ?

Thank you.

Im a Profile junkie when it comes to 3 piece cranks, no dog legs that i am aware of though. I fitted these up to a italian framed fixie and a 49 higgins with little trouble, getting the right length shaft is most the battle and their staff is always happy to help. Back in the day they were happy to one off stuff for ya at a cost but I fear those days are probably gone.

Im a Profile junkie when it comes to 3 piece cranks, no dog legs that i am aware of though. I fitted these up to a italian framed fixie and a 49 higgins with little trouble, getting the right length shaft is most the battle and their staff is always happy to help. Back in the day they were happy to one off stuff for ya at a cost but I fear those days are probably gone.
Yes I dig the profile cranks too, I've looked at them but I'm not sure I wouldn't be in the same boat with what I'm trying to do here. I will look into it deeper, thanks !!!

you could easily put them on that man... no chain guard...no problems...I gotta **frog** hair tween my cranks and guard but still run em, no reason you couldnt run anything really. Finding a 3 piece with a dog leg...wow..if you find one I hope you report cause id love to see it! :D

you could easily put them on that man... no chain guard...no problems...I gotta **frog** hair tween my cranks and guard but still run em, no reason you couldnt run anything really. Finding a 3 piece with a dog leg...wow..if you find one I hope you report cause id love to see it! :D
Maybe dogleg is not accurate terminology, after some searching I'm noticing some generic cranks might have a bit of a dish on the back side of the crank arms...gonna give that a whirl and see how it works. Thanks again

I have dogleg cranks on my highwheeler to keep my feet away from the spokes. It had straight raleigh cranks when I got it. I had the dogleg set in a box so I threw them on. I have a feeling they came from a very old moped. Either way, they exist, but I'm not aware of any being produced now. You might be onto something as far as terminology. Modern companies would probably have a different name for them than "dogleg cranks".

Searching moped cranks on ebay turned up a couple of slick options. But it will depend on the crank diameter, and it seems they are all for 9/16" pedal shafts

You just need to get some cranks with more "q-factor". Q-factor is the distance between where the pedals mount to the cranks. Looks like you've got some road bike cranks on there which will have a straighter crank arm and less q-factor.

BMX or MTB cranks should get you where you need to be.

You just need to get some cranks with more "q-factor". Q-factor is the distance between where the pedals mount to the cranks. Looks like you've got some road bike cranks on there which will have a straighter crank arm and less q-factor.

BMX or MTB cranks should get you where you need to be.

Yeah, what he said, except that technically, we're talking about "tread"; q-factor is a bike-fit term that Grant P co-opted to describe tread in the 90s, during his stay at Bridgestone, pre-Rivendell. MTB and BMX cranks tend to be wider between the pedals, to clear the fatter stays associated with >2" tires, and they also oughta help increase the clearance for your chainguard. Keep in mind, however, that mtb cranks will almost certainly give you a higher chainline figure, which will cause other problems if not properly addressed.

Last edited:
I have dogleg cranks on my highwheeler to keep my feet away from the spokes. It had straight raleigh cranks when I got it. I had the dogleg set in a box so I threw them on. I have a feeling they came from a very old moped. Either way, they exist, but I'm not aware of any being produced now. You might be onto something as far as terminology. Modern companies would probably have a different name for them than "dogleg cranks".
Are you saying you have 3 piece dog legged cranks? Not doubting you at all but sure would like to see em for my own knowledge!

Are you saying you have 3 piece dog legged cranks? Not doubting you at all but sure would like to see em for my own knowledge!
Here they are. The chrome is actually decent on them but there is something gray on them. Not sure what it is but chrome polish seems to be taking it off
IMG_0406_zpsimramb3n.jpg

IMG_0407_zps0jzsqerw.jpg

I'm guessing they were originally on an old moped, like the old Puchs or Motobecanes. The ones from the 60's-70's that had frames just slightly more beefy than a bicycle. They were in a box of parts I got when I bought out a previous member here that was local to me.

Cool thanks! Interesting for sure! Sorry for asking, but I had to see em :D

I admit they arent what i expected seeing, but they certainly are curved out and do the job. I am pretty sure I never seen a set of those anywhere, good to know they exist!

Latest posts

Back