cotter pin removal

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Ok kids, I need to remove a critter pin from a Euro style three piece. I've tried a mallet and punch, vicegrips, and a BFH.

Anyone have any other remedies or ideas?

3 or my 4 bikes have cottered cranks. Over the years I'd had tons of the English cottered bikes. You have new cotters? The old ones won't be any good after they are hammered out. I used to try to save them, and have if they are in good shape. usually not.
To get a stuck one out, I loosen the nut to give a little space and hammer it hard. It only goes out that way, the threaded side gets the hammer. If the nut gets wrecked, just hammer the pin without it. Tap the side of the cranks to possibly break it free also. They will come out with a bigger hammer too. If the end gets flattened up to the crank arm, get a punch, line it up and wail away on it.

Put a socket over the plain end of the pin, and using a vice or big clamp push the pin out of the crank and in to the socket.

Luke.

I tried beating it out with a hammer, I'll try Lukes idea before I start hitting it more.
I do have replacement pins, so not worried about damage.

For future reference, you could loosen the nuts on the pins and ride around for a while, or bounce on the pedals with the cranks at 3 &6 o'clock if the bike's still rideable. That'll loosen them gently without mashing the threads if you can't find replacements & have to re-use the originals (from Sheldon Brown's Old Bikes site)

I didn't know the pins had to be inserted in opposite directions for the crank alignment to be correct. For years I had an extra bike with the cranks the wrong way.:39:

The crank I was working on is on an old moped, I'll have to check pin direction. Crank arm as a little play in it.

Latest posts

Back