Search results

1. Wildcat

Got a derby and a??? What years are they?

Mid 50's Murray Aeroline: The serial number should show a MO with the third letter the year. MOP is 1950, MOQ 1951, MOR is 1952 etc to the late 50's. Then it's a little different.
  2. Wildcat

Neighbour got a rear rack, not sure what it's from..

Murray made. Could be from one of several different models. Here's a Sears spaceliner from the 60's:
  3. Wildcat

Ladies Roadmaster

G is 57 on my lists, right when they were switching over from the BB to the dropout for the serial number. The bike has all the characteristics of a 57 Roadmaster too. Thats the first I've heard of the letter going on the BB. Got a pic?
  4. Wildcat

"Modular" tire.

Too much cost if the zipper is made for several uses. How about velcro? If you're going serious mudding or offroading, velcro on a big flap of knobby on the slick. Then peel it back off when you ride the street back home.
  5. Wildcat

Ladies Roadmaster

Nice original bike. Any other numbers/letters to the right of that serial number?
  6. Wildcat

Ratty Patty

If that wheel configuration works, I'll be able to fit two 26 x 2.0 tires instead of one 3" tire. The middle rim will provide 1" of space between the tire beads. But for this build, it'll be the big whitewalls.
  7. Wildcat

Ratty Patty

I laced my new 2 speed hub to a rim. It's a 32 hole hub and a 36 hole rim. I taped off 4 holes at equal distances and laced it up as usual, 3 cross. I'll have the bike shop true it up and tighten it up at the bike shop. It looks good and is straight as it is but I'll have it trued just for good...
  8. Wildcat

Messing around lacing two rims together...

That's my next plan, rivets or nuts/bolts using supports with 3 rims. Heavy but bulletproof.
  9. Wildcat

1960 Something

That frame is unusual but I've seen a couple of them. They all looked like the head angle was too steep, and probably is. It's possible the frame bent before the fork or rim would have if it bumped into something, because there's no extra support bar like most frames have. But it may have been...
  10. Wildcat

What about YELLOW bikes?!

71 Varsity. I changed out the skinny 27" wheels with an S-7 yellow band kickback and a 26 x 2.125 in the front. Older cranks, Brooks B72 and upright bars too. 97 Dyno Taxi with stock wheels and whitewalls, and added 68 spoke wheels with 26 x 3 tires.
  11. Wildcat

The forces are much too great for epoxy. Just 15 psi in the tubes pulled the rims apart.
  12. Wildcat

Removing rust with vinegar: weird reaction

Maybe that's how they make pork rinds. Now I'm hungry!
  13. Wildcat

Ratty Patty

I managed to epoxy the rims and mounted the 2 tubes and tire. These wouldn't need truing if they worked out, theyve got no flex. Then I noticed the rimstrips laying there! So after redoing it, I started to air up the tubes 10 psi at a time. It was looking promising. I had just gotten the...
  14. Wildcat

Ross 1960s bike

Late 50's to early 60's is my guess. Made in NY by the Chain bike corp. The bike looks all original and in good condition. There's no scrapes on the handlegrips or pedals so it wasn't abused. Just surface rust to preserve or deal with. Probably original tires and everything. There might be some...
  15. Wildcat

I just found this old thread as I was researching using 2 rims to get more width for my 3" tire. It's exactly what I was looking for but I have a couple questions. I've epoxied the 2 rims together with the valve stem holes opposite each other, and am planning to use 2 regular tubes in a 26 x 3"...
  16. Wildcat

WORKSMAN LGB

Looks like new condition. Massive seat!
  17. Wildcat

reusing spokes

"A friend that runs an LBS is going to start teaching me about wheel building he cuts and threads all his spokes for his wheel bills he only keeps extra long spokes in stock and cuts and threads to suit" That's the solution. Hands on education is the best way to learn. I recently learned how to...
  18. Wildcat

new to site

That doesn't look like a Rollfast or Hawthorne badge, but it's riveted on so it's the one that came with the bike most probably. It might be one of the hardware store brands. I would carefully try to remove the spray paint little by little to see what's on it. If the repaint is cheap enough, you...
  19. Wildcat

Chrome Molly

Even though it was scrapped, it was under a roof, out of the weather. The scrap places here are like warehouses, everything is sorted and gets a second chance at life. Things will sit for decades waiting to be reused somehow. That's why the chrome is still good on this bike, or that's just how...
  20. Wildcat

Ratty Patty

I used my new bench today and got some work done. The red frame easily came apart with a hacksaw. Some spots were hard to get to, but the welds were minimal. It looks like thay tacked it and forgot to finish it up. This is where the cantilevers attached to the seatpost. So I laid out the...