Search results

1. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

Intermission Knife I'm working on for a customer.
  2. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

Kindness... It never actually works.
  3. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

I'm gonna need a bigger forge.
  4. Falstaff

Need ID

I thought you knew them all too.
  5. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

I'm not sure you'll get the answer you seek. The high carbon spike isn't all that high in carbon, just higher than a regular spike. It will still bend rather than break, but I honestly don't know why they are used.
  6. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

Here's a bit of "useless" information for anyone who might plan to make a railroad spike knife. The spike on the left is a typical spike, the one on the right is a high carbon spike.(note the HC at the bottom) A higher carbon content makes for better hardening, and holds an edge better.
  7. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

My wife makes fun of me for that.
  8. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

This is copper with brass.
  9. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

Should be fine. I can't imagine it would be any weaker than copper tube filled with epoxy, like some mosaic pins are made.
  10. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

The brass will also darken over time, but in a contrasting shade of brown. I think the silver would look off once the padauk darkens.
  11. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

I can't balance that well. I have a drum mower, it would be plenty entertaining to see me sharpen the blades. But the language...the language. I don't make wall hangers. Just wanted to check, I have some ideas I've been wanting to work on. This is a good time to do it.
  12. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

@Verrt Is this going to be strictly knives? Or is any bladed tool allowed?
  13. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

A lot of people temper with a torch. Map gas is probably better than propane, but propane is doable. You can also temper in the oven. Also a lot of knives out there made from saw blades and whatnot with a grinder. You've always been good at figuring out new things, so I have faith in your...
  14. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

It relaxes me a whole lot more than bicycle building.
  15. Falstaff

Knife buildoff challenge

Oh, what the heck. I'm in. I've got plenty of steel, even a blank or two. And a nice walnut slab I've been wanting to trim some fat from to make scales. Thanks for the heads up @OddJob
  16. Falstaff

We bought a 100+ year old stone cottage!

He said he's doing fine, just been really busy.
  17. Falstaff

We bought a 100+ year old stone cottage!

I logged on for the same reason. Haven't heard from him.
  18. Falstaff

Messing around lacing two rims together...

I think when Luke did his he riveted them together. On my attempt, I wanted a belt drive between the tires. So I welded steel between the rims to act as a pulley.