Search results

1. ParkRNDL

Overnight transformation: 1973 Speedster

Just about exactly a year ago, I brought home this 1973 Speedster in need of TLC. I didn't have a definite plan for it, I just have a thing for rescuing Schwinn 26" camelback frames. I tinkered with it enough to make it rideable, then hung it in the shed and it has been sitting there...
  2. ParkRNDL

Couldn't resist. I feel so dirty.

Fine, sue me. It's cheap Chinese junk. But it's a campus green Sting-Ray and I like it.
  3. ParkRNDL

Abandoned Turnpike ride in Central PA

Got to participate in a great ride yesterday. A group from Philadelphia organized a ride along the Abandoned Turnpike between Sideling Hill, PA and Breezewood, PA. There were over 30 riders, with folks coming from from Philly, Pittsburgh, New Jersey, Maryland, and probably more. I'll let the...
  4. ParkRNDL

late entry... name yet to be determined

in this sad little pile is most of what one would need to cobble together an ersatz Schwinn Fastback... I bought the frame/fork and some accompanying hardware (see the first two pics in this thread) last summer because I was jonesing for a Fastback, but soon after that I acquired the...
  5. ParkRNDL

Off-brand BMX scooter?

Picked this up at a yard sale today. Aeroglide Street Force. Hmmm. Anybody heard of this one before? I know the big name brand ones are collectible...
  6. ParkRNDL

DB Silver Streak

Never really was big into BMX as a kid, though I was the right age when the current Old School stuff was the new thing. I had friends with bikes like Mongoose, Supergoose, Redline, Hutch, Skyway, PK Ripper, all the others. My brother had an '83 Schwinn Predator that he swapped out every part on...
  7. ParkRNDL

old school BMX find

picked up for next to nothing... time to buy a lottery ticket :grin:
  8. ParkRNDL

Speedster 26" BMX Cruiser

This is where the build took me, and it's pretty much exactly what I envisioned. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the more I try to ride 20" muscle bikes with my group of bike nerd friends, the more I've been getting into the idea of 26" BMX cruisers. I have a few that have been put together...
  9. ParkRNDL

new Huffy split tube? What the heck? (also, working at DSG as a bike tech)

What in tarnation are these? And do they work? I saw them at work yesterday, will try to make a long story short: so I have two sons who work at DSG (I am referring to the big box sporting goods chain that the forum software censors out haha) and for a couple of years now on and off, I have...
  10. ParkRNDL

swap out 5 speed for 6 speed?

My daughter has a nice '76 Collegiate 5-speed that she doesn't ride much because she doesn't like having to reach for the stem and hunt for the gears when shifting. She likes the 3-speeds I have much better because she can just click to shift with her thumb. So I was stripping a couple of old...
  11. ParkRNDL

Ladies' Western Flyer Fairway Flyer

Can anyone tell me who manufactured this and what year? My guess is Murray, early '70s...
  12. ParkRNDL

Ladies' Western Flyer Fairway Flyer

So I'm trying to get the women in my life interested in taking a bike ride with me now and again. Recently, both my wife and my daughter have made it clear that they prefer the 3-speed Shimano thumb click shifter on the girls' Free Spirit I picked up a couple of years ago to the vague 5-speed...
  13. ParkRNDL

Pre-war step-through just for laughs

So I have a friend at work who lives on a farmette and was looking for a yard-art or garden bike. And I have another friend who collects loads of old bike stuff and is always looking to unload something to clear out space in the shop. I mentioned the search for yard art to him and he wheeled...
  14. ParkRNDL

'75 Schwinn Typhoon

at least that's what I think it is based on the serial...
  15. ParkRNDL

20" wheel with 3 speed Shimano hub

I found what's left of an early '70s Columbia muscle bike at a yard sale for next to nothing. Came with no wheels and no shifter. Lucked out and got a Shimano 3-speed stick fairly reasonable off Fleabay. All I need now is a 20" rear wheel with a Shimano 3-speed hub to make it a rider...
  16. ParkRNDL

Fuji Cambridge: camelback frame!

Every time I post a Collegiate or Speedster project, folks here show lots of love for the camelback frame design. Maybe someone close enough to Baltimore will be interested in this one... https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/d/lutherville-timonium-vintage-fuji/7130235631.html Pic from ad: I...
  17. ParkRNDL

1992 Mongoose Rockadile (and bonus Ross Mt. Rushmore)

Bought this new a couple years before I got married. It hasn't gotten nearly enough use since then; I did a couple of trail rides way back when (Long Island Greenbelt Trail? I think) but most of the grime on it was collected hanging in the garage. Now my daughter asked if we could go for a...
  18. ParkRNDL

Sting-Rays at Wal-Mart again

So apparently, it is now possible to go to Wal-Mart and pick up a 20" Schwinn Stingray in Coppertone, Campus Green, or late '70s Sky Blue. (okay, not entirely true. i think these are ordered online. but they can be picked up at your local WalMart after you order them.) Now I know this is a...
  19. ParkRNDL

Rim strips on double-walled rims?

Hey so I am putting together a 26" BMX and for the first time in my life I spent a bunch of money on brand new BMX parts. Got these fancy wheels today. Now, I have never owned double-wall rims before, and I got to wondering if they use the same kind of rim strip you'd use on a single-wall rim...
  20. ParkRNDL

BO15 Camelback: 26" BMX (Scrambler XL)

Since I got back into tinkering with old bikes several years ago, I've had a thing for Schwinn camelback frames from the '60s and '70s. I have rounded up a few Collegiates and Speedsters in this style, and I love them as riders just the way Schwinn built them. The first one I ever got, a black...