Search results

1. Kevin B

A Lowly NEXT cruiser

Found this NEXT 3 speed cruiser at the curb out for the trash. The owner said I could have it. Aired up the back tire and threw a front tire on it. Didn't have a seat post but my Schwinn mountain bike used the same 26.8 post so I could test it. Shifts great. Has some squall and grind to the...
  2. Kevin B

Wheel Help - I messed up!

I got a wheel from the trash someone threw away. The tire was shredded and dry rotted. I threw it away after recording info from the tire on a duct tape note on the wheel that reads 26" x 1 3/8". The problem is when I tried to mount a regular 26" cruiser tire 2.125 on the rim the tire was too...
  3. Kevin B

Reviving Track Racing?

I wonder if there would be enough interest if a vintage track bicycle league was started? Maybe on small indoor ovals? Not the aero stuff of today but some down and dirty bikes. I think people would watch it if it was promoted and exciting. It would probably have to be local using some...
  4. Kevin B

The Simplicity of it All

Sometimes I think about bicycles and their sheer simplicity. Their sparse technology is especially true of the timeless single speed coaster brake bikes. I used MS Paint to label the basic rotating points of a cruiser. On my first attempt I overlooked the pedals. To me the minimalist theme...
  5. Kevin B

Old Catalogues to Find Our First Bikes

I found two sites that archive old department store catalogues. They are great for looking back in time. Wish Book Web Christmas Catalogues and Holiday Wish Books I found my first bike of page 191 of the 1968 J.C. Penney Christmas Catalogue. Mine was the $39 bike but not as shown. Mine was...
  6. Kevin B

I Knew Someone Must Have Made One of These . . .

Sorry to choose this forum section. It seems like we have a lot of pedal car chatter on here but no dedicated place. Apologies for a four wheel thread. The So- Cal Speed Shop "Belly Tanker," is one of the most iconic hotrods ever built (And I am a person who thinks "Iconic" is over used). I...
  7. Kevin B

Very Versatile Bicycle Lights

Versatile Bicycle Light You guys probably already knew about these. I Just discovered some versatile bicycle lights for customizing. They come in different anodized finishes, and are sold under different names. I ’ve found them in front and rear lights. Here is one example at Amazon Example...
  8. Kevin B

Remember when . . .

A friend sent me one of those "Remember when . . ." emails and I thought you all might appreciate 3 that were bike related.
  9. Kevin B

Saw this "Tom Cat" tail light . . .

Saw this "Tom Cat" tail light on eBay. I think it would be a great start for a bike theme. At $39 I'm out. Still maybe an orange and black stripped paint job. Animal print seat upholstery, Brian Seltzer belting out the "Stray Cat Strut." Even add an old Esso/Exxon tiger tail promo.
  10. Kevin B

Strange Bicycle Repurpose Story

MY RATTIEST PROJECT - BICYCLE AGRICULTURAL REPURPOSE This may be one of the weirdest repurpose stories ever. For some reason I remembered something I had forgotten from the early 80’s. I was looking at a diamond frame and thought, “If I flip that over, reverse the forks and fix them in a...
  11. Kevin B

Another 125th Anniversary Schwinn Black Phantom Review

When the 125th Anniversary Phantom was announced here and later Steve posted his video review I made the comment, "That is one I would be happy to buy instead of build" or something like that. I missed the first round of the bikes and applied for email notification when they became available...
  12. Kevin B

Covid Bike Boom Cooling Off?

Been checking local SW Florida Wal-Marts out when we need household items throughout the pandemic. Always run by the bike aisles. Like everyone else has reported picking were slim. Only the most expensive or odd ball tubes and etc. Just the smallest of juvenile bikes in inventory. No other...
  13. Kevin B

Help Identifying These Parts

A good friend gave me a 1998 Schwinn S-20 mountain bike. I've never owned or ridden a Mtb. Consequently I do not know what these empty brackets on the bars would have held. There is a pair and they are inside of everything else.
  14. Kevin B

Tire Liners?

I've gone a decade or more without any on the road flats. Now in the last week I have punctured a tube twice. I think it is because the County has been deploying bat wing mowers in some of the neighborhoods cutting brush and leaving little sharp wood chips on the road. Not finding nails or...
  15. Kevin B

Ode to the Bottom Bracket

Each year I service my bottom brackets a couple of times with a full cleaning and a lube with good grease. Lately I noticed a rhythmic clunk, clunk (sometimes sporadic) from a used bottom bracket I installed in a rebuild project. I opened it up and one single loose ball bearing was out of the...
  16. Kevin B

Homemade Truss Rods - Part 2

I made another set of homemade truss rods. The first attempt is recorded here https://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rat-rod-forum-advice-needed-for-building-truss-rods-from-scratch.110719/ That bike came out like this. This project below also has a fatty fork but without the fender...
  17. Kevin B

Surge in Bike Sales

According to Reuters there has been a surge in bike sales because of the pandemic. People are wary of public transit and are turning to bikes. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-bikes/wary-of-public-transport-coronavirus-hit-americans-turn-to-bikes-idUSKBN21Z1BX As...
  18. Kevin B

Rat Rod Forum Advice Needed For Building Truss Rods from Scratch

For some time I have been wanting to add faux truss rods to a bike. So I have poured over many of the forum posts about making truss rods. My recent acquisition "The Swamp Tiki Cruiser," has front forks with the perfect attachment point. So I am giving it a try . . . Today I ordered a 6'...
  19. Kevin B

Big Daddy Don Garlits with His Bicycle

I posted this here from a link 9 years ago but the link is dead. Thought I would update. This is none other than Don Garlits as a boy. His biography says he made money working on bicycles. My dad was a neighbor of his then. Don is a couple years older than dad.
  20. Kevin B

The Swamp Tiki Cruiser

I've been a member for a few years but rarely post. Mostly I come here and use the search feature for bike build/repair/maintenance help. However, I wanted to share a bike I've been working on. My regular cruiser is a 11 yr. old full fendered Schwinn. But because of this forum I have been...