Search results

1. RustySprockets

1952 Western Flyer

A good-looking survivor. The saddle and pedals have been replaced along with the truss rods, which may have been removed to better accommodate a front basket at some point. That's pretty common on these step-through bikes. Is the fork bent back a little? Looks like it, but might just be the...
  2. RustySprockets

BO15 Let the wrenching begin...

Gotta admire those who make/modify their own tools. The rubber padding is a nice touch--I'll remember that. I've seen this conversion done frequently with a square taper BB, but this the first instance of Ashtabula-to-Hollowtech crank. What's your source on those press-in bearing cups?
  3. RustySprockets

Bicycling in Complete Safety

4. RustySprockets

yet another camelback

I've got a camelback Varsity in coppertone, so....myth busted. It's a very pretty bike, but much too tiny for me to ride far without complaint.
  5. RustySprockets

Skyrider?

I don't think the serial # will be of much value...AMF weren't exactly known for their meticulous record-keeping.
  6. RustySprockets

BO15 Higgy-o

Sheesh! You're already halfway there.
  7. RustySprockets

BO15 SteamRoller - A churnin' urn of burnin' funk (MonarkSissyBarParkTool+MexicanWheelAdvice+PrewarSpringerSeatFront)

What I particularly liked about this arrangement is the way the saddle appears to float over the bike, rather than be supported by it. The tractor spring itself gets almost hidden and doesn't take away from the modded Higgins fender/rack.
  8. RustySprockets

Stool samples

I thought about making something like that to use while recovering a saddle. One could really stretch out all those nasty wrinkles.
  9. RustySprockets

opinions wanted

I certainly have no objection--all I see here is a pile of parts and a vision.
  10. RustySprockets

BO15 SteamRoller - A churnin' urn of burnin' funk (MonarkSissyBarParkTool+MexicanWheelAdvice+PrewarSpringerSeatFront)

Keeps morphing closer and closer to a unicycle saddle. Just pointin' that out there... :whistle:
  11. RustySprockets

ID this chainguard

Could it be from one of the imported Higgins bikes that had cottered cranks? The decal might have been applied by a reseller, back in the day. Pure speculation.
  12. RustySprockets

ID this chainguard

The label reads "West-End," but this is the first I'm hearing of such a marque. My Google-Fu has failed to come up with anything useful...just bike shop names.
  13. RustySprockets

Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

It actually IS in good shape, and I'd buy it if the price were reasonable enough. But, painting it blue doesn't make it a Bluebird!
  14. RustySprockets

Craigslist nightmares and dreams...

I guess if someone wants a housepainted plain-jane Shelby badly enough... https://baltimore.craigslist.org/bik/d/towson-shelby-flyer-vintage-beach/7122245370.html
  15. RustySprockets

Long and low is the way to go, I think. Perhaps something a bit more like a unicycle saddle. The banana is the better of the two you've tried....but it may not be the best possible. I'd hate to see a sissy bar interfere with that frame's sleek, floating lines.
  16. RustySprockets

BO15 WAHA-SEDB-3 (Tuneup)

Man, if I had TWO of those hoods, I'd be shooting for twin trike fairings...maybe the kind that steer with the wheels.
  17. RustySprockets

J.C. Higgins

Wasn't 1963 the last year for the JCHiggins branding? Anyway, it's got be right in that time frame.
  18. RustySprockets

Rat bike guys adjustable wrench.

You need my 'beaver tooth' lockring pliers! They work like a charm and aren't limited to one size of lockring, like the Park solution. Also, it grabs that puppy by two notches, rather than just one.