Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Fat Lip

Fire Rat

I entered the last build off with this bike but I never got around to doing anything with it other than get most of the parts needed to build it. I thought with the virus that things would slow down at work but instead it got crazy busy and I just didn't have the time to work on this bike. That...
  2. Fat Lip

BO15 Unknown BMX bike - Maybe Western Flyer

Cool bike! MO7 is a 1977 Murray. They made a lot of different bikes using that same frame in the late 1970's including the NFL bikes sold at Sears stores. Looking at my 1977 Murray catalog it only shows one bike with that frame, front springer, seat shock struts and padded seat combination. The...
  3. Fat Lip

BO15 Murray Fire Rat

Seat and sissy bar....more patina!!! I should probably get a tetanus shot before I start assembly.
  4. Fat Lip

BO15 Murray Fire Rat

After a little more digging today I found another muffler chainguard. I originally bought this to restore and use on a Murray MX dirt bike build but I think it will work better on this chopper instead. I'm going to leave the 'ratty' patina on it. It matches the theme of the bike I'm building.
  5. Fat Lip

BO15 Murray Fire Rat

Did some parts digging today and found a rear fender, a muffler chainguard and a nice Carlisle slick.
  6. Fat Lip

BO15 Murray Fire Rat

I pulled out two chopper frames that I had, a Free Spirit that was repainted blue and a Gambles that's rusty and crusty. Normally when I build a bike I will start with a nicer frame. But because I'm building more of a 'rat' bike for this build I'm going to use the rusty Gambles frame. It's...
  7. Fat Lip

BO15 Murray Fire Rat

I've decided to join this year's build off. This will be my fourth attempt at a build off bike. Although I eventually finished building the other three, I missed the deadlines. I'll post pictures of those in the appropriate forums later. I'm building what I like to call a Murray Fire Rat...
  8. Fat Lip

Looking for this Free Spirit!

Sorry, but I don't have time to build it. If you want, I can send you the parts you want and you can build it yourself. All of the black parts should be stripped and repainted. The plastic rear fender has some small sections broken off and missing at the back end and both fenders should be...
  9. Fat Lip

Here is what I found so far. I have a set of original rims too. I just have to dig them out. The last picture shows new parts that I have, a seat, waffle grips and Carlisle knobby tires. Shipping a bike to Spain will be expensive though.
  10. Fat Lip

That was my bike. Unfortunately I sold it in 2012 but I'm pretty sure that I have most, if not all the parts needed to build another one. I took that picture in my front yard. Here are some more pics from that day:
  11. Fat Lip

Freddy's fresh finds

Yeah, Thunder Road's were MX bikes that Huffy released in the mid seventies. Pro Thunder's were BMX bikes that were released starting in the early eighties.
  12. Fat Lip

Thunder Road ?

It's a Murray Cat MX bike similar to my Murray built Sears Free Spirit MX bike. Early versions had the pie plate chainguard. Later ones had the full length. They used 24" springer forks so that there would be extra clearance between the front fender and tire to give the bike a 'Motocross' look...
  13. Fat Lip

Evel Ashtabula!!!!!!!

Very cool!!!! I just recently got the last thing I need to put my 1976 Evel MX bike together...
  14. Fat Lip

Huffy muscle?

To me it looks like a later model rail frame that someone added the center bar to. The bar looks too straight. It should have a curve to it.
  15. Fat Lip

My Holy Grail has arrived...'68 Orange Krate.

I had an October 1968 Orange Krate. It had a regular seat post, an orange seat and gold dot brake levers. The seat may have been replaced in the 1970's though as well as the rear slick. The post and brake levers I think are original to the bike since it was late in the model year.
  16. Fat Lip

Need help!!! What is "The Look" muscle bike

It's hard to tell from your picture but if that frame was originally silver then it was probably this bike: This was the 1978 version. Notice the solid rear dropouts. They also changed to a full length chainguard and dropped 'The Look' name. As for value, I picked this one up a couple of years...
  17. Fat Lip

Need help!!! What is "The Look" muscle bike

'The Look' bikes were actually MX bikes built by Murray and sold through Sears as Free Spirit badged bikes. The frame looks very similar to the Murray choppers of the late 1970's but it is different. The chopper had more of a rake at the head tube and therefore had a gusset welded there to...
  18. Fat Lip

A Schwinn public service announcement...

I had a real Schwinn overload tube from a 68 Krate that I sold on ebay last year. The winning bid was $25 and this guy is selling repros that don't even look right for $50??????
  19. Fat Lip

20" Sears Free Spirit

I'm interested in the chain guard. Let me know the price with shipping to 18103. Thanks
  20. Fat Lip

(MBBO #4 Class 1) 1968 Huffy Rail Custom

I made my own set up for the double rear brake. I used Excel Grand Prix calipers that originally came on the Rails. I decided to use period correct Weinmann red dot levers because they look and have a better feel than Excel levers. I still have to crimp the fender in a little bit by the lower...
Back