Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. N

Monark model types

With the posting of a Monark "Charioteer" onThe CABE board, I've begun to wonder just how many different models Monark made. I know the lines are blurry, especially with Firestones out there (I have 2) but does anyone know the names of all the models of cruisers Monark made?? Maybe if we use a...
  2. N

Lots of cool bikes.....but one stands out..

I'm still trying to figure out what you guys didn't like about The Screaming Rabbit??? The engineering behind the effort was pretty amazing. As I said in the title, lots of cool bikes, I had a tough time voting on my choices, but I'm kinda surprised that TSR is trailing by so much?? Maybe...
  3. N

Bolt size for Monark stem/handle bar bracket

The old bolt head was getting a bit rounded so I took it to the local hardware store. The best they could do was 10mm...close. When I got home I put it into the stem to see if I could it tighten down. No go...anybody know what size this thing is??? Thanks
  4. N

Getting paint off original pinstriping..

I've got a Firestone ladie's tank and it was really painted over. Originally, i couldn't even see the name or the striping on it. I tried to get the nasty layer off with denatured alcohol....no success. I switched to acetone and while it takes the paint off, I'm concerned that it will take...
  5. N

Monark Train Light Patent Number

I'm trying to track down the patent for the Monark Train Light. I'm certain they patented it (or many others would have copied it). Specifically, I'm interested in the tech drawings for dimensions. I'm working on how to get a train light repop in the works. It wouldn't be a "for profit"...
  6. N

Ebay Monark train light $134.50???????!!!!!!!

OK, disclaimer. I'm all about keeping bikes together and not parting them out. But seriously... I'm looking at train lights on Ebay and the prices are crazy! Even axle nuts for Monarks are $10 each!!! I've been watching some fender "rockets" and those are in the $50-60 range, tail...
  7. N

Trying to ditch coaster brake

I'm trying to get rid of my coaster brake and move to caliper brakes. Read a few posts, watched a few YOUTube videos on "converting" a coaster brake to a freewheeler. Missing something?? Any help??
  8. N

Spot welding/soldering a Monark cheese grater??

I have a couple of cheese graters that have one on the bars broken off at the mid post. It looks like I could just hit it with some solder as it is not a structural piece. Anybody/who has ever done this and what was the technique you used. Thanks
  9. N

About to commit sacrilege.....

With the prices of Monark "Train" lights going through the roof why hasn't anybody done a repop version? I know, I know purists will say...."Death the the infidel!". But at this point, I need about 3 of them for projects, and just can't justify spending a hundred a pop for the train, and then...
  10. N

Best way to do "body work" on bikes

Aside from getting out the hammer and tap tap tapping myself into madness, what is the best way to get pieces straightened, dents removed, etc. on bikes. I know the local motorcycle guys typicall just replace the parts anymore and lbs, doesn't do body work. Thoughts?? Thanks
  11. N

Nel Lusso Cream Colored Tires

Does anybody know what brand of cream colored tires Huffy uses on the Nel Lusso bikes?? I've seen them at a distance...
  12. N

Your best "pick up" line....not what you think

So you see an old soldier or a faded damsel in somebody's yard. How do you approach them to give it to you?? I rescued a 1951 Columbia this spring after driving by it (yard art) for years. Just walked up and asked for it. I just spotted a rusted trouper behind someone's garage...I'm going...
  13. N

LA. Bike Fest

Wonderful day in Abita Springs, La. Awesome Fest....lots of cool bikes....can you say jet/electric hybrid??? Or young woman in full majorette outfit...on a tandem...made to look like an alligator courtesy of great paper mache' artwork....fabulous!!! I'll post pics....brew pub 2 blocks...
  14. N

Re-fabbing a front fender from a rear fender

After watching a deep Monark front fender sell for $305 lasta weekend on Feebay, I thought....I'm never going to get one of these :( Then I purchased a couple of cheesegrater racks, a rear fender, and a chain guard and thought....why not re-fab a front from the rear :idea: Does anybody have...
  15. N

Different Monark cheese graters???

I picked up a couple of cheese graters (sans chrome pieces) and when they arrived, I noticed that the blue one has a hole in the top and the red one doesn't. It looks like it was made for the hole based on the space in the middle rib . I've attached photos. Anybody got any ideas?? Thanks
  16. N

Repairing a springer fork

I bought this a while back, box came beat up, like somebody hit it with a sledgehammer. The results are that one of the curved bars is bent right at the bolt hole. It looks kinda crushed, but I can see the crack in the metal. I've added some links to pictures and would appreciate any advice...
  17. N

1951 Columbia Serial # R219741

According to the serial number list here, this is a 1951 Columbia. Past that....I have no idea...well, it is blue and it is a 26" Girls bike. Any input would be appreciated. Some day I'm gonna get a bike that's not blue!
  18. N

Ebay annoyance..opinions??

Before I rant about someone, I'd like to open up my pea brain for some input. I had my eye on this bike and it didn't sell. The ad clearly read "Recent barn find. Great for parts or restore. I am putting 100.00 for shipping, if it costs more, expect to pay the difference. If bike does not...
  19. N

Okie Rat, more progress

New headlight (thanks for the tips) and new license plate...
  20. N

Truss Rod brackets

Has anyone every thought to put together a thread, or data base on truss rod brackets? Let me explain. Many truss rods have brackets which will fit on a few different types of head sets. Some are pretty exclusive to a particular bike. I've seen a couple of drawings of truss rod brackets...
Back