Search results

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  1. Thxcuz

Band brake in front?

I’m curious about band brakes. Sheldon Brown claimed you should never have them on the front wheel. However, a few years back St. Louis used to have tons of rental bikes floating around (that were replaced later by electric scooters) that had band brakes in front. I don’t always agree with the...
  2. Thxcuz

Home built frames

Show me your home built frames! I’m thinking about trying something with square tubing for maybe an e motorcycle. You guys would be te only ones who are cool enough to have done something similar
  3. Thxcuz

Tell me if this is a dumb idea

I’ll probably try it anyway I’m trying to put a motorcycle fork on a bike frame. The steering tube is 1 inch but it is a metric thread (it’s from a cz Jawa motorcycle - I got a box of parts and a weed wacker for 20 bucks last summer and it’s just taking up space, I’ll never find a frame for the...
  4. Thxcuz

The electric mayhem (or how to screw with a perfectly good typhoon)

Let’s start with some backstory: I have a nice Electra townie that I put an electric hub motor on. It’s nice but there are a few issues. First off the townie, as you know has a unique frame and some parts of the kit - mainly the battery- don’t fit well on it Second issue is I feel the seat is...
  5. Thxcuz

Single speed to multi speed

I may be getting a typhoon (not sure of the year) I’m gonna move my ebike kit from my Electra townie to the typhoon. can I add a rear derailleur and use the 7 speed freewheel if I swap the front chainring with one from a varsity? why do this? I dunno I do plan on adding disk brakes to this...
  6. Thxcuz

Help me bling my townie

I have a garden variety townie 7d. I currently have an ebike kit on it. It’s boring. id love to do something cool to it but that .... head tube is huge so I’m guessing a springer is out of the question. the seat is uncomfortable, but that’s an easy fix. whacha got?
  7. Thxcuz

Townie suspension

I rode my townie 7d 16 miles today and boy, could I benefit from suspension. the head tube is freaky long. I’d love a retro style springer but I have an ebike kit on it and I hear the quality is iffy. a triple tree with suspension would look even cooler but I’m not sure if I can find one that...
  8. Thxcuz

Show me you upside down bikes

I have an idea and I need some inspiration let’s see those upside down bikes.
  9. Thxcuz

Big v brakes

Does anyone know where I can score some big v brakes for my motorized build? I’m running 24x3 tires on this beast and the stock brakes don’t work. I’ve only seen fat tire bikes with disk brakes.
  10. Thxcuz

How do you deal with the big fat tires

I’m working on a motorized bike and I’m running 24x3 tires....they look so cool. I am however having clearance issues. I did I trick I saw on this forum years ago to lower and in my case extend the rear and the front us ok but now I have to deal with brakes. I could rebuild the wheels with disk...
  11. Thxcuz

Threading a hub to accept a disk brake adapter

I’ve got this bike I’m stripping for parts and I have these thread on freewheel adapters for disk brakes there looks to be plenty of meat on the hubs. Is it possible to thread it to accept the adapter? What would be the threading? I’ve attached pictures in case I didn’t explain it well.
  12. Thxcuz

Show me yer Layback seatpost

I need some inspiration Show me those layback seatposts
  13. Thxcuz

Spring for diy linkage fork

Where do you guys find springs big enough for a linkage fork like the one attached? I tried a gate spring but it didn’t fit. If there’s a link that would be appreciated
  14. Thxcuz

When a 24 isn’t a 24

I’ve got 2 24 inch wheels but as you can see one is clearly larger. The wheel is stamped 24 1 5/8 which if I’m reading Sheldon brown’s article right was a Schwinn oddball size. I have another 24 that looks normal, but it’s smaller than the wheel that’s stamped 24....what am I missing here?
  15. Thxcuz

Layback seatpost for 56 roadmaster

I’ve got a 56 roadmaster with a quill stem style seatpost. I’d like a layback seatpost. Is this possible?
  16. Thxcuz

I got this beast today

I don’t know much about old amf’s besides the fact I had a crappy amf 10 speed when I was a kid. not sure of any details. One interesting thing that the logo is upside down. Was quality control bad even then?
  17. Thxcuz

these dropouts

can anyone identify what kind of bike this is with these dropouts? I'm not sure if I have ever seen them this large before.
  18. Thxcuz

Triple tree brackets

I have some triple tree brackets I have them on ebay but if you get them from this forum I'll give them for you for $10 plus shipping from 63109 http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=222127746001&alt=web
  19. Thxcuz

Fork advice

I've got my motor bike almost the way I like it, however the fork looks wrong. What do you think will look best? Springer? Truss rods? Triple tree? Mtb suspension fork? I dunno. I know it needs something. Something looks off. Maybe it's the handle bars. I dunno. Any advice would be helpful Thanks
  20. Thxcuz

1 inch threadless headset questions

I would like to get a triple tree fork for my motor bike but they are all 1 inch threadless and my bike is threaded. I know 1 inch threadless headsets exist but I'm wondering if they are "plug and play" with an old head tube. I would get a springer but my headtube is 7.5 inches long
Back